1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Terribly sorry - Bugsy Malone (again)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShyTea, Dec 15, 2011.

1. I have done a search on here and have seen various links to different sites and am a little confused.

If I buy a play script from amazon or play.com - I know I still have to pay a performance fee. Who would I pay this too? Also can I use a backing track for the songs? I read somwhere that you can download 4 of the songs but not the rest. Does that mean I can't use the whole CD?
    Many thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

This is where you apply for the license:
    http://www.boosey.com/pages/focus/?url=/focus/bugsy.htm
    You ought to know though you can't use backing tracks - it has to be 'live'.
    From the T&C:
    Please note that you must use live musicians (either the full orchestra or piano only) and the use of a backing track is strictly forbidden.

3. Thank you - I did read that on there but then another post on here seemed to contradict that (although I should know better not to believe everything I read!)
    Can the songs be used if the script is changed? So the story line is similar but all the words/lines are different?
    I'm just trying to think of ways around having live musicians. Our Head can play the guitar but doubt he's going to want to do that ...

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know that you can - the rules for these shows are pretty stict.
    When we did it I played the piano and had the peri teachers and friends play the instrumental parts. Do you know a good pianist that could play for you?

5. We have a gentleman who comes in and teaches keyboard skills to children - I could see what he thinks on the subject - the assistant head plays the guitar so there is a possibility he plays other instruments as well - I will ask tomorrow.

6. This is where a clavinova is such a useful musical instrument for schools to have ... instead of a piano!

You get a good pianist to play it for you, record each track on disc then use that ... it is effectively the same as a live pianist!

We did bugsy like that! It was fantastic!