1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Terrible itchy underarms - do you know what it might be?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by marshypops, Apr 26, 2011.

1. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I daren't even google itchy underarm just in case I get some nasty pictures [​IMG]
    It could be anything but sounds like a fungal disease?! You need to go to the Dr and get them to look at it - otherwise you'll never properly get rid of it.

2. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

hi marshy babe! i DID google it but they didnt mention anything life-threatening so i was slightly reassured. I did wonder about fungus, but how could it have got there? i bath twice daily. i bought a new tube of canesten today but they only had the foot one, so i bought that. i wonder if i have athletes foot but under the arms? yeeaachh!!

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I'd add an antihistamine cream into the mix. You can get a combined antihistamine/anti-fungal cream - can't remember what it's called but your pharmacist will know.

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Hello wordy darling, your armpit is warm and moist - fungal infections love those conditions. No idea how you could have got it in your armpit but it's easy to pick up. The trick will be keeping it dry I would imagine as that will help to get rid of it.
    Go to your GP they will look at it, you will tell them how long you've had it and they may prescribe something that's more effective than the canestan (or they may say that it is being effective and to keep with it) but YOU HAVE TO GO AND SEE THEM! Sorry for shouting chuck but scuzzy armpit diseases need to be treated properly or your arm will drop off [​IMG]

5. Sorry, I have no particular words of wisdom to add. My speciality is psychiatry and not dermatolgy.
    I just wanted to add to the debate by saying uurrggghhhhhh.
    Obviously, if in the end it drives you insane, then I would be more than happy to help[​IMG]

6. Sounds like a sweat rash to me - I always get it when the weather warms up. Get a tube of hydrocortisone cream like Daktarin or Canesten hc and give it a try. Works wonders, I find.[​IMG]

7. Hi
    I get this sometimes often combined with flaky skin. I tend to discontinue the anti perspirant and slap on some sudocrem, which was left over from when my kids wore nappies - works wonders. I have also started using products under my arms for sensitive skin which has helped

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

sounds like intertrigo -fungal skin infection
    keep on with the Canesten - get the 2% cream rather than the 1% version - it will clear it in a few days
    Check it's not being agravated by bra - they can rub you raw

9. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

Thanks everyone - am persevering with the Canesten. Will keep you all updated cos i know how much you will want to hear about what happens [​IMG]

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Are you sure it's not a nickel allergy? Dead common and often ignored in favour of fancier allergies.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Maybe your bras have nickel in them.