1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Terrible Day

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by curlcurlcurl, Jul 17, 2018.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

Three days before the end of term we still don't have timetables for September. I have no idea which classes I'll be teaching or when. Except that I have now been told that I won't have a classroom next year, will be running between around 5-6 classrooms and that I'm now required to teach outside of my subject area a few times a week for a subject I've never taught before.

I know the school are within their rights to do all these things and haven't broken any rules. Just feels a little unfair that I'm the only one in the department getting dealt these less than desireable scenarios. Feels like a rubbish end to the term :( Any words of wisdom to perk me up?

2. curlcurlcurl

Has anyone who has moved from always having a classroom to not having one at all found any silver lining?

3. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

We still have no timetables either - you're not alone!

Ask that each of your groups is at least in the same classroom - so no having 9E3 in Room 3 on a Wednesday and then Room 5 on a Thursday, etc.

When you do get your timetable, ask each teacher responsible for the room you're in for shelf/storage space for your class, and clarify their expectations ("Don't let year 7 use the highlighters in the blue box" etc). Know where to find the essentials!

Get a nice big bag with a wide strap. Make sure you carry a board pen, a notepad/planner/similar, maybe a small stash of pens... the essentials which will cause upset if you find the previous teacher hasn't left!

Insist on a space in the office/staffroom which is yours to store things and work from.

Plan starters which are independent and don't require lots of set up to give you 2 minutes to set the rest of the lesson up.

PERKS: you're harder to find (if you wish to be) so less chance of "can you just..." requests. No need to deal with display boards. Depending on how far you rove, it can be the chance to forge links with colleague you might not otherwise come into contact with. If you end up sharing a classroom with someone like me, there'll always be a biscuit stash you're welcome to raid. You may stumble across interesting resources in other classrooms.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Well you have no need to worry about displays, or about keeping the room in good condition...

Post #3 is spot on too...

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Curl88

Perhaps you could spend some time looking for another post. This conditions you describe are not ideal - especially the room changes. That alone is going to be tough, but to throw in the subjects you haven't taught before is going to make it even more challenging.

curl88 and phlogiston like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

In addition to @rustyfeathers excellent suggestions I would invest in one of those crates on wheels and ensure it is stocked with your day to day requirements (including tea bags or coffee).
    When the timetable does come out, see if there are any judicious room swaps that might make life easier.

7. curlcurlcurl

All great suggestions, thanks. Although we were planning on trying for a baby in the latter half of the year - battling through the corridors and dragging things isn't much going to help that scenario, I imagine!

8. curlcurlcurl

Very much like the thought of being harder to find, less opportunity for those off the cuff convos where you’re ambushed and expected to make a decision there and then.

9. NIHistoryTeacher

NIHistoryTeacher New commenter

At which point of course your school will need to carry out a risk assessment and make any reasonable adjustments.

curl88 likes this.