1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

terms of notice ?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by frak, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am considering resigning from my current teaching post, but my contract seems ambiguous about the latest date I can hand in my notice.
    I have quoted it below...
    Does it look like 30th April or first day of term is the last day to hand in my terms' notice ?
    Many thanks for your advice...

3.3.1 either party may terminate this agreement on giving to the othr written notice to expire on 31st dcmber, 30th april or 31st august in any year provided that if the teachr is taking up appointment with another school at th start of a summer or autumn term such noitice shall be deemed to take effect on the day immediately preceding the day on which the school under the new school opens for such term if this be earlier than 1st may or 1st september respectively
    3.3.2 Notice under this clause shall be given not later than the first working day of a school term

2. 30th April to be effective from 31st August. However, you can obviously take up employment anytime after you leave at the end of the summer term at this time of year.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

31st December,30th April and 31st August are the fixed end of employment dates, not the deadline dates for handing in your resignation!
    You must hand you notice letter in by 31st October to leave at 31st December, 28th/ February to leave at 30th April and by 31st May to leave at 31st August.
    The anomaly is that those who submit a resignation by the end of February rarely elave at 30th April if going to another LA school as 30th April falls within the Summer term. The teacher leaves at the holiday period and the new school takes over paying them from the first day of the summer term, whenever that is.
    If the teacher is not taking up another post, they resign and state 30th April as the official end of the employment and the school may require them to return to work for a week or so, sometimes teaching and sometimes as a floating teacher in case they are needed.
    Your next opportunity to leave will involve handing in a letter by 31st May (that date is fine even if it falls in a holiday period). Always specify the official end date of the employent (31st August for the Summer term) becasue if you write that you wish your last day at work to be 22nd July (or whenever the day is) you run the risk of missing out on the holiday pay you have earned as they can take you at your written word!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, Jubilee, I don't think so.
    Your explanation is correct for a maintained school in England and Wales working under Burgundy Book conditions.
    But this seems to be an independent school (or Free or Academy).
    The contract sets out two parts of the resignation.
    Firstly, when the resignation takes effect. You resign with effect from the 3 days of the year that, in theory, are the days before the beginning of a new term: 31 Dec, 30 Apr or 31 August. It adds that if the new term in the new school actually starts before then, then this resignation date is brought forward. This is the same as in the maintained sector.
    Secondly, when do you have to give in your resignation, i.e. when do you have to tell them that you will be leaving?
    Here it is different from the maintained sector.
    You have to tell them on the first day of term at the latest to resign and leave at the end of that term. So Frak has to give a term's notice, unlike teachers under Burgundy Book conditions, who give half a term.
    Frak has almost certainly missed the resignation date . . . Sorry!
    Best wishes

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Apologies. I only read the 3.3.1 clause of the OPs message which has the same end of contract dates as for standard teaching posts in the State sector.
    The OP should probably speak to the Head to see if missing the start of term resignation deadline can be overlooked.