1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

termly writing assessments in EYs

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by minilady, Sep 7, 2011.

1. hi i've just started at a new school which completes termly writing assessments for each year group including nursery and reception. these are kept in an individual file for each child with the intention of showing progression. My question is .. should the 'work' in N and R be independent mark making as opposed to copy writing. I feel the ability to copy an adult's writing is not the same as 'writing'. Each piece of work is levelled against the writing statements from development matters and ELGs. What do you think? thanks[​IMG]

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We used to have to do this and we used markmaking/ emergent writing which was at each child's level not copy writing. You would not be able to use copied writing as evidence towards EYFSP points so I'm not sure what the point of trying to level it would be.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I imagine that all the writing in the other classes will be fully independent, so it should be the same with EYFS. I wouldn't necessarily scrabble around for CI mark-making though. I'd copy the chidren's responses to an AI activity.

4. Hi
    At our school we do 5 peices of independent writing in their 'Writing Journey' books that is then levelled. But EYFS don't begin their Writing Journey's until the summer term.
    Lots of mark making and emergent writing is kept, photographed etc and put into their profiles so progression is still seen.
    Louise

5. Hello!

New to EYFS just wondering how you level the writing and what against? Do the schools provide the documents to level against? Sorry if I'm being a bit simple!
    Tracy x

6. We also have writing assessment folders for each child that is passed up. This is a school thing, not an EYFS thing.
    What we do is collect a small selection of their writing from over the year. This includes a Christmas list they write in December which we support, but then mark on the writing how much support they needed. Some complete this task independently, others need us to remind them to sound-talk the word they are attempting, some need help with knowing which grapheme to write in response to the sounds they hear etc.
    We had previously to level this against the Suffolk writing assessment grid, and subsequently with the writing APP sheets. As they invariably scored below level 1, I argued that EYFSP scores were sufficient in idicating their 'level' in writing, and APP sheets were better used when they were assessed in Y1.

7. Thank-you!
    That was very helpful. Just looked at the Suffolk writing grid aswel and it has cleared things up for me!