1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Termly reports

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Oct 1, 2018.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

For those in nursery classes in schools, what do you do for half termly and termly reports please?

My predecessor wrote a sentence or two for each of the 7 areas, but it wasn't deemed ideal by SLT and so I can change it. However I have no idea what to change it to. Everyone else gives an effort grade for each of English, Maths, Science and writes a class teacher comment.

What happens in your schools please?

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

We used to have two parents evenings in October and March and then an end of year report. It had headings for each area and a few lines with comments taken from the EYFS then a longer personal, social comment at the end. It did take ages and was about an A4 per child. Do your parents have an online learning journal that they can view to see their child's progress etc. We always kept Nursery reports a bit simpler than the rest of the school but it might be different for you in an independent.

3. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I've got my child's here from Reception year but our Nursery does the same format. Basically just has the areas of learning and a working towards ARE/at ARE/Above ARE and a couple of next steps - so very very minimalist really (they are throughout the school - the older children just get a printout of the traffic lighted assessment data that no parent understands and they all pretend to in a quite amusing manner if you're a teacher on the playground watching it all unfold). Half the page is letterhead and amusingly large print describing what's on there - sheet of A4 in total. Think it was backed up with something from ****** describing the ELGs (obviously more Reception relevant) which I don't happen to have filed. Bit impersonal and not the most informative but school are very open-door so any issues really would have already been raised and dealt with face to face.

(I'm not sad enough to just have reports framed or something - I'm in the middle of sorting out the file of medical letters/reports and everything that I've just bunged in a pile and ignored for the last month so had it handy)

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Thank you both, very much appreciated.
    We have this for our end of term reports, but I don't want to be doing it for every half term.
    Yeps, they see the journal as often as they choose to look. I'm trying to make the nursery ones nearly as simple as the rest of the school for half terms!
    Given we do reports every half term, this doesn't seen very minimalist! However, it could work and is worth thinking about for when everyone else does attainment grades.
    LOL We have a similar completely confusing system which means no parent has a clue and so none of them complain!
    Yes, yes. We believe you...:D