1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Termly Assessment, Primary - Help!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by littlevicki, Nov 29, 2007.

1. I'm trying to find some termly/half termly assessment tests we can use at my school to help improve our tracking of children through Key Stage 2.

I bought the Rising Stars Assessment Tests as they say they are matched to the revised framework but when they arrived today I have to say I'm not that impressed. The Y3 and 4 books seem ok but the year 5 and 6 ones are pitched all wrong as far as I'm concerned- only one level 4 question on the Y6 autumn tests, the rest levels 5 and 6. In summer, maybe on a good day, for some of the kids but I can't give them a test paper like that now. It would totally crush their confidence!

Anyway, we're sending these back. I don't have time to come up with a termly test for every year group using testbase as I do for my own class, and the rest of the staff are refusing to do their own tests (can't use testbase, don't have time etc...)
    I guess I'll continue searching for something appropriate for the whole key stage I can buy in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. I'm trying to find some termly/half termly assessment tests we can use at my school to help improve our tracking of children through Key Stage 2.

I bought the Rising Stars Assessment Tests as they say they are matched to the revised framework but when they arrived today I have to say I'm not that impressed. The Y3 and 4 books seem ok but the year 5 and 6 ones are pitched all wrong as far as I'm concerned- only one level 4 question on the Y6 autumn tests, the rest levels 5 and 6. In summer, maybe on a good day, for some of the kids but I can't give them a test paper like that now. It would totally crush their confidence!

Anyway, we're sending these back. I don't have time to come up with a termly test for every year group using testbase as I do for my own class, and the rest of the staff are refusing to do their own tests (can't use testbase, don't have time etc...)
    I guess I'll continue searching for something appropriate for the whole key stage I can buy in. Does anyone have any suggestions?

3. Best test for termly levels is 'Testbase'. Has all SATs questions (1998 - 2007) and QCA voluntary SATs. Gives levels from L2 - L6.

At our school testbase is used at end of unit. The test devised is 8 questions. So if the target grade is L5c there would be 6 questions at L4 and 2 at L5. Two correct = L4c, 4 corect = L4b, 6 correct is L4a and 8 corrrect is L5c. It works for us.

4. Thanks for your suggestion, Anneray.

I have to say I use Testbase in my own class and love it. However, I have some reluctant colleagues!

Have you made up a test for each year group based on what they should have covered, or do the teachers do their own based on what they've actually done?

I'm not sure, actually I know the staff at my school would not do it themselves (they need to be spoonfed as much as the kids!) And unless I get time out of class, I don't have any time either...

They were really pushing for me to buy in a papers. A friend mentioned NFER. Anyone got any idea what it's like?

5. I have not found any commercially produced tests that are any good. I have ended up making my own similar to the ones described above. Have you shown the staff how to use Testbase at a staff meeting? I can't believe anyone having problems with it, it's so easy to use.

6. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

7. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

We just use old Optionals in November and Feb, then the real thing in May.

CGP also do tests, not sure how effective or reliable they are. That's basically why we use Optionals, no-one can ever quibble with the level as they are government produced!

8. Thanks for your suggestions, and the links, Tandy. They look really helpful and I'll share them with the rest of the staff at our next meeting. We had talked about using the old optional QCAs but people felt they were too long and time consuming to want to use them every term.

Yes, LGR22, I have shown the rest of the staff how to use Testbase on more than one occasion. I also think it is really easy to use and maybe am not being very sympathetic to those who struggle to get to grips with it.

Or maybe I just can't be bothered to go over it a second and third time when they sit through the meetings chatting and catching up with marking. Talk about being worse than the kids!

9. How b****y rude. I had a few members of staff who did that. I now rota the chair and minutes so that it's a joint responsibility. The marking has stayed in the classroom so far.

10. Does anyone still happen to have these tests? The links are no longer active.
    I'd be happy to share my email for an electronic copy if someone has them downloaded.
    Fingers crossed!!!