1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Terminating Contracts in the UAE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mob26, Jun 25, 2015.

1. I recently have been offerd a job in Dubai for the year starting this August .It does not look amazing.Free flights,free Medical and free accomadation.It is a 2 year contract.I went through a recruitment agency.I was wondering is it possible to leave after one year if you dont like it.Also,if a position arose in another school in the Uk later in the summer could you terminate that contract for Dubai?Would you be expected to pay for flights etc..I really appreciate any advice.Thanks.:)

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

My friends had to pay back the monies spent and remember you will not get a reference either. Why do this to yourself if you are not keen on the school.

PM me if you wish.

3. karel

karel Occasional commenter

You can always break a contract after a year or not show up at all, people have asked about this before, but if you do then you have to be ready for the consequences. It's strange that you are asking about this before you even start at the school. You say the position isn't great, what is not great about it? Is it different to what you originally thought or expected? It must have been appealing in the first place otherwise you wouldn't have applied or accepted the job? If you do a search on here you'll find other posts about breaking contracts or just not showing up. People have different opinions about it. Some say life is too short if you are unhappy get out. Others would never do such a thing. Personally I have never broken a contract and would hope never to feel desperate enough to feel the need to do so. I had one job a while ago where I was desperately unhappy and would love to have left after the first year. I didn't and I'm glad I didn't. I see it as character building stuff and to be honest the two years passed by very quickly. The consequences would certainly mean the recruitment agency would blacklist you. Heads of schools talk and get around and breaking a contract could come back to haunt you at some point. There could be financial implications too, you might be asked to pay the costs involved in hiring someone else at short notice, pay back cost of your flight out there etc. these kinds of things should be stated in the contract, they are in my contract at my current school. It makes mo sense to me why you would be thinking and asking about this now. My advice would be to honor the commitment you have made, be open minded and see what it brings. It might be the best thing you ever did, or it might be difficult but lead on to better things in the future. What do you have to lose?