1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Terminal Rule

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by FluffyKat, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Not the way I read it. It is saying that if all that a candidate does is the re-sit in Year 11, and they score lower, the candidate's previous higher grade will be discarded. The higher grade CAN be taken away, as an overall subject/specification grade is only issued when all units are completed.
    The rule you quote relates to units of an examination, not the whole. Units do not count until the course is completed.
    In ICT I think there is a rule saying that the first 60% of the final possible marks of the four modules sat in the final year count, regardless if those marks are partially from re-sits. So, say a candidate does unit 1 and 2, being 50% of the marks, in Year 10, and say in unit 1 gets a D. They sit Units 3 and 4 (the final 50%) in Year 11, and also re-sit unit 1. In unit 1 they go lower with an E. That E is the entered grade for unit 1.For this reason we do Unit 1 in Year 10 and Units 2-4 (80%) in Year 11, with a re-sit of unit 1 if needed.
    OCR may have done this to reduce the number of re-sits.

2. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

Thanks! I keep getting different answers from the exam board too!