1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Term time wedding

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rainbowdrop86, Sep 2, 2011.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Hi all, i have recently got engage and am currently looking at setting a date and booking a venue. My fiance and I really want a March wedding in 2013, but typically Easter holidays that year are in April. March is also a lot cheaper, and April requires a high minimum number of guests which we just cant afford. To make it even cheaper, we'll probably do it on a sunday. Im just wondering if anyone else got married in term time. I'm hoping that my head would be flexible enough to give me the Monday off, and would prob do it towards the end of term, so that the last couple of days of term and fairly easy going.
    So has anyone ever had their wedding during term time? DId you ask for a day off?

2. rainbowdrop86

Hi all, i have recently got engage and am currently looking at setting a date and booking a venue. My fiance and I really want a March wedding in 2013, but typically Easter holidays that year are in April. March is also a lot cheaper, and April requires a high minimum number of guests which we just cant afford. To make it even cheaper, we'll probably do it on a sunday. Im just wondering if anyone else got married in term time. I'm hoping that my head would be flexible enough to give me the Monday off, and would prob do it towards the end of term, so that the last couple of days of term and fairly easy going.
    So has anyone ever had their wedding during term time? DId you ask for a day off?

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I'm sure there would be no problem having the day off as unpaid leave.

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I think you are usually entitled to a day off unpaid for your wedding - but check your policy.

5. aw27

aw27 New commenter

You can request unpaid time off from the governors - I asked for a day off at the end of term once to go on holiday early as I was flying to Australia, as did another colleague who was going to Florida, but you'll usually only get a day or two, and that's only if they're nice accomodating governors - ours were!
    I got married in term time on a saturday and whilst I didnt ask for any time off, (we didnt bother with a honeymoon as it was September and we'd only just been away) my headteacher said I could come in whenever I wanted on the following monday and my HLTA agreed to cover.
    I think I wandered in about 11am!!
    All you can do is ask really, it will all depend on the individual head/governors, and the circumstances in your school.

6. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Like many of these things it will most likely be at the discretion of the Head. Unpaid should not be a problem and it would seem Churlish to me not to allow a day if there are particular circumstances. However as you know your contract states you are to be available for work during term time, if they want to be awkward they can be.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I got married (once!) on the Thursday beforeWhitsun half term. Was given Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as unpaid leave. I set all work for those days. Not a problem so I guess as you're marrying on a Sunday and want just the Monday off I'm sure your HT will approve (but remember to include HT on evening guest list!)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The Head will wish to (a) ensure no loss of learning to pupils (b) ensure no loss of income to school (c) keep staff happy.
    In that order!
    So you could try first asking colleagues, in confidence, if they would agree to cover your classes on that day (and not count it as part of their annual cover) in exchange for you doing some cover for them at some other time, using your PPA time to give them some release. Then you can present the Head with a solution, not a problem.
    Best wishes on your wedding!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

9. rainbowdrop86

i could arrange for my PPA to be on the monday afternoon instead of tuesday afternoon, not a prob cos its my TA who covers. Couldnt i just ask for the time off unpaid, that way HT would have the funds for a cover teacher

10. I travelled up to Durham on a Friday night, married on Saturday, one night in hotel, travelled back down to Coventry on Sunday, in school on Monday!! Crazy !!
    Enjoy and I hope you get the Monday off!

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Why not have the wedding on a Friday? Friday weddings are becoming more and more popular because then everyone has the weekend to recover.
    Not sure I like the thought of a Sunday wedding but each to their own. Have a wonderful day whatever you decide.

12. rainbowdrop86

the venue we're looking at does a really good package, but not on a friday. I think id rather having the day before to get ready, not be at school, have the wedding on a sunday, knowing that in 4 days it will be the easter holidays!!!

13. Friday weddings are more popular because they're cheaper. Same as Sunday.
    I have noticed in our very multicultural school that if a week-plus is required for a trip to Pakistan for a wedding, then although it only comes with the LA-approved two days' pay for travelling and the rest as unpaid leave, it is never questioned because of the terrible fear of being thought Diversity-Unaware. The Art teacher on the other hand, and one of the admin staff, who were bridesmaids in Cork and Cornwall respectively for Friday family weddings and thus requested Thursday and Friday off, unpaid, had to appear before HR and plead their cases. They discovered that using the two Asian teachers as a precedent expedited the process no end.
    As others have said, it's up to your HT and the sooner s/he is asked, the sooner you'll know where you stand. Make it clear that you need a prompt decision because of the arrangements though.

14. rainbowdrop86

thanks for all the advice. have been looking at other low season months, but typically no school holidays fall in them, apart from feb half term but thats valentines weekend which i think is a bit trashy

15. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

ooh, good planning with the Easter hols only 4 days after [​IMG]. Makes a Sunday wedding much less depressing! (sorry have never been a fan of Sundays, even since childhood!). Yes, I like the logic of having a couple of days beforehand to get ready. Much more sensible ... although in my case it would be to rush around like a blue ar.sed fly doing all the last minute bits n pieces!
    Sounds like you have thought it all through. All the best.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Obviously, as Theo says, the HT would want to ensure lack of interruption to pupil learning.

I'm afraid that I'd take the view that there are enough school holidays weeks in which to book your wedding.

17. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

How old fashioned you are, ils!

18. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Congratulations on getting engaged fruitloop [​IMG]

I can see why lots of people would take this view. It is unfortunate though that the wedding industry has gone the way of the holiday industry and upped their prices for weddings during school holidays.

My head teacher has said no to me having time off during term-time (I'm not complaining and I understand his reasons) and I am lucky that we can afford the extra £2000 the venue is asking for an August instead of January wedding. We could still have our January wedding, but I don't fancy having to go straight back to work if I don't have to. Ask nicely and the worst your head can do is say no. Don't let it stop you getting married though (just plan an easy day for the day after [​IMG]). Good luck.

19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Maybe so, but like the holiday situation, it's part and parcel of the terms teachers were aware of when they signed up for the job.

If I were a parent I'd be pretty unhappy if my child's classes were disrupted to allow a teacher to marry during termtime to save money. Of course, anyone can marry during the term - but I don't think they should expect to take school time off - paid or unpaid.

20. It is only one day, so it wouldn't worry me if it were my daughters teacher- some teachers ask for their entire honeymoon off. One day is going to make little difference to their learning.
    I got married on the Saturday of October half term, fully expected to work on the Friday but was going to leave at lunch as I had no lessons afterwards.
    Anyway, another teachers' daughter was getting married and had asked for the day off and it had been granted (she was a teacher too) so my line manager arranged for the head to givee me a suprise day off.
    Nice.