1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Term time only pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Nicola2884, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Nicola2884

Nicola2884 New commenter

Hi,
    I currently have a full time contract and have 36 days holiday. However there is a restructure and the organisation are transferring to ‘Term Time Only’ contracts so we will not get holiday pay. Does anyone know how to calculate the actual salary that would be paid?

For example £27,000 is FT
    - tax and then divide by 12 to work our per month.

For term time only I would only get paid for 38 weeks so would I ....
    £27000- tax
    Then divide by 52 to work out weekly pay
    Then multiply by 38 for actual annual pay?!

Please can someone advise before I commit.
    Thank you

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Are you a teacher or support staff?

You have to add holiday entitlement to any calculation. For example, our support staff are on term time plus one week (inset days) contracts. With holiday entitlement added this came to 44 or 45 weeks annual pay. So divide by 52 (assuming full time hours) then multiply by about 44. You should be able to add your 36 days holiday entitlement to the term time weeks so it could be over 44 weeks.

Check you are genuinely on full time hours. The school week can be around 25 hours a week for support staff which brings a big reduction to any full time salary quoted.

If you’re a teacher being told this, I’d look for another job.

3. Nicola2884

Nicola2884 New commenter

Thanks for your help.

I am a teacher - it would be 37.5 hours.
    Have my PGCE and working on my QTS.
    As it is term time only there would be no holiday because they are to be taken during the end of term.

When I worked it out I got about 40p over minimum wage...

4. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Term time only pay means no statutory holiday pay

Is this legal?

What are the unions doing?

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I wondered about this. I think it is possible if it is made clear that the rate of pay included an allowance for holidays, but I am no expert. I also wonder if it is legal to simply change contracts like this. However, if they arrange things so that the actual pay per year is no less than before, I guess that might be Ok. But speak to your union.

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Union, union, union.
    Do not sign agreement to any new contract until they've checked it.

Are they seriously saying "termtime only and take your holidays within termtime"? That would seem very odd (I have HE contracts which are 8 months with holiday to be taken within that - but I don't have teaching every week, so that's doable without cover needed). Termtime plus four weeks would be more understandable. Insisting that holidays are taken during term also means any of you who are parents have to take your kids out of school.

I sincerely hope, if they're paying at rock bottom levels, that they're not expecting "plus sufficient extra hours as are necessary for the discharge of your duties", as that would probably take you well below minimum wage. If they're paying per hour and not a proper salary, then you work the hours they pay for and no more.

Check notice periods - because you really want to be looking for a job somewhere else, by the sounds of things...

Piranha likes this.