1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

term time only... but full-time teacher

Discussion in 'Independent' started by grantgust, Mar 5, 2020.

1. grantgust

grantgust New commenter

Hi,
    can a school employ a teacher for a full-time, permanent post, but term-time only? I've seen it advertised but it's so unusual that I wonder if it's just their wording? In any case, what do you think would be the major disadvantages of accepting a similar offer?

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

A private school can offer to employ teachers on any basis it chooses. There's no law stopping them offering TTO.

The obvious disadvantage is you'd only get paid about three quarters of the annual salary of a full time permanent teacher!

3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Wonder if they will get many applications, I'm sure most qualified teachers wouldn't bother.

jarndyce likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

However, if their salary scale is particularly high, you could still be better off.

I'd go and talk to them and see what they say.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I suppose one advantage of a teacher TTO contract is you couldn't be required to do any work, planning etc in the holidays. But I guess in practice that would mean you just have to put in longer hours in term time to do it.

6. dts

dts Occasional commenter

If it was genuinely a term-time only post, then you would either need to be paid for some extra days as holiday, or you would be entitled to take some holiday during school time!

7. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

This is very strange. I would email them for clarification.

Lalad likes this.
  8. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Don’t touch it with a barge pole.

jarndyce and Lalad like this.
  9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I worked in a private sixth form where the permanent contracts were year-round, in that they were expected to be in for some of the holidays, particularly Easter to run revision courses. In that case, I can imagine that some employees might prefer a termtime-only contract. But of course the big question is pay.