1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Term time notice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by amiehaydensmith, Oct 13, 2015.

1. amiehaydensmith

amiehaydensmith New commenter

Hi,

I need some advice.

I have been employed since September in an academy school as a Cover teacher (0.4) and PE teacher (0.6) filling a maternity job and I have since meant to begin completing my NQT year, however it would take over a year to complete this. Since obtaining this post I have been offered a job as a full time PE teacher teaching year 7-13 in a school in a different county. However, the school that has offered me a new job would like me to take the position as of November. I understand that generally the leave dates would be to submit my notice by the 31st of October for leave on the 31st December, however it does not state this in my contract and there is no reference to the Burgundy Book either. I spoke to my union and they advised me to speak with the school with regards to leaving early and this is currently in discussion. However, I feel that working in the school I am currently, my progression is being stalled, since beginning the year I have had 1 meeting with regards to my NQT year and no observation to support this, I have also had my PPA moved to one of my cover days to ensure that I have my NQT meeting in this time. The new school can offer the completion of my NQT by November 2016, whilst teaching full time and giving me an excellent opportunity to develop. I feel like I'm getting no support from my school in relation to my NQT and development as a teacher.

In addition to this, my contract states that 'if for an urgent reason the contract needs to be terminated...' this may not seem like an urgent reason but right now, as I really want to obtain this new post, it seems to be the only get out. Would this be a breach of my contract? What would the consequences be?

Thanks in advance!

A very confused and distraught NQT

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Do that.

The rest of your personal detail is irrelevant if they won't release you from contract. The consequences of breach of contract could be legal action against you by the school, but more likely a poor reference indicating your breaching contract and lack of dedication to a school. You might think this irrelevant as you've already been offered the new job, but future schools can check reference from any of your previous employers and for the sake of a conversation with your present school it would not be worth risking that at this point in your career.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, as Daisy says.

The curious thing is that the new school knows perfectly well that you are not free to join them in November . . .

I will add: if this is your real name, then you need to contact the moderators to get it changed, as you are obviously identifiable if so.

Here is something that may be of use to you:

Asking to leave earlier than your contractual leaving date

Best wishes

4. amiehaydensmith

amiehaydensmith New commenter

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Send a personal message to @TES_Rosaline.

Click your user name at the top of the page. Click 'Conversations'. Click 'Start a new conversation'

Oops! Theo beat me to it. Any how...

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Rosaline is on her hollibobs at present . . . Will is the man!:)

snowyhead likes this.
  8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Or much easier:

1. click on your avatar top right...
    2. click 'go to my profile page'
    3. click 'edit my profile'
    4. change display name from real name to alternative.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What!

Can you now do that, @GLsghost !

They have introduced that - many thanks for that tip, very useful to know!

Best wishes