1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Term time leave-when to ask

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by daisyboo, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I may be jumping the gun here slightly but thought it better to be hopeful.

I have an interview on Friday for a level 2 ta job at a local school.

I need time off in april to attend my best friends wedding abroad, it would be 3 days in total in term time and has been arranged for ages. I have the holidays booked off with my exsisitng employer (not as a ta)

Do you think I should mention it in interview or wait to see if they offer me the job?

I am beyond terrified about the interview, if they could just put me in the classromm and said show us what you can do I would be really good but am terrible about talking about my self and always forget important things to mention.

The letter just stated a time and date, I called the school to ask if there was anything specific I needed to bring or prepare and the answer I got was ''the secretary thinks not''. I have no idea of what to expect as it's my first ta interview. I am level 3 qualified but only had a placement not actual employment.

I really really want this job so positive vibes needed!

Many Thanks

2. Sorry I did use paragraphs and can't seem to find an edit post button.

3. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

Firstly well done on getting a interview they must have been impressed by your apllication. Now for the nitty gritty, it the school wanted you to bring anything this would of been mentioned in the interview letter. Have they mentioned anything about you doing a task, this could range from hearing a child read to doing a maths or literacy test. You will be asked various questions like the ones listed below.
    Why do you want to work at our school?
    How do you see the role of a TA?
    If a child refused to do a peice of work what would you do?
    What skills can you bring to our school?
    A parent approaches you while you are out shopping and asks how their child is doing in class, what would you say?
    A child tells you they want to tell you a secret but you must promise not to tell anyone, what would you say to the child?
    As for your holidays I would mention this at interview, I can only speak for our school but they would honour this as it was pre-booked however if they employed you and you mentioned it afterwards our head would not be to impressed and would ask why you never mentioned it before.
    So fingers crossed and the very best of luck.

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I would mention it if/when you get an offer of employment.

5. Agree and I would also mention your understanding that this will be unpaid leave. May help to smooth discussions.

6. I had the same thing for my job, I needed three days off to go to glastonbury, I told the head at the end of the interview. I got the job and the three days wasnt an issue. I think most Heads are fine if they know earlier and it wont affect your chances of getting the job, if your good enough then they will take you!

7. Just to let everyone know that I got the job!!!! Really happy and excited about starting.

Thanks for all your help and advice. I told them about the holidays in the interview and they were fine with it.

8. Congratutations Daisy. [​IMG]

9. tamtams

tamtams New commenter

WELL DONE YOU.

10. Well done, getting and keeping any job as a TA is hard in todays financial climate. I did community care for the elderly before training as a TA. The last 3 years have been one of the most amazing and rewarding experiences ever. So enjoy, keep smiling and congratulations.