1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Term-time holidays??

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

Hi,
    My boyfriend and I have been planning to go to France for quite a while. However, he has been working away for weeks and is home in September.
    I am an NQT without a job so going on supply and i have joined 2 agencies.
    Will it be okay to go on holiday the first or second week of september or will i be missing out on opportunities?
    I have read online that september is often quite quiet which is why i thought the 1st or 2nd week of september would be great??
    What do you guys think?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

It's true that the start of term can be very quiet
    It's also the case that if you get very lucky, longer-term positions can come up then - but you do have to get very lucky.

I would probably go to France. Once you have a permanent post or long term contract, you won't get the chance to go away when it's quieter/cheaper. Take it now!

Bonnes vacances!

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

I think you'll be fine going away in September (the best month for a holiday, in my opinion....) I doubt you'll get much day-to-day before the end of September anyway. The only issue might be if a long term post were to be offered beforehand? Also, are you Primary or Secondary and where in the country are you, as these are variables to consider. Have a great holiday!

agathamorse, tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Everyone's experience is different but unless you suddenly get a long term role ( say a term or over), then day to day supply starts to pick up right after the first half term break.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

I'm primary and North Wales,
    The long-term prospects are the only thing putting me off;
    I'm with 2 agencies and basically fill out the availability on a calender on a weekly-basis;

I was thinking if schools start on a wednesday, then a thursday-sunday holiday may.be good on the first week?

pepper5 likes this.
  6. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Go on holiday and have a lovely time. Supply is quiet in September so you won’t miss much if anything. As already said once you have a post cheaper term time holidays will be something you will not be able to take advantage of.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I did supply for many years and usually found supply quiet in Sept. However the one year my husband and I took a holiday that first week was, inevitably, the year when, if I'd been home I would have got work and a long-term position.

So generally I would say you'd be perfectly 'safe' to go in early Sept, if you understand that there's no certainty that this won't be the year which doesn't follow the pattern. Plus if you're not after long-term work I wouldn't worry as that work does tend to start nearer half-term.

8. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Established commenter

Take the holiday.

tonymars and les25paul like this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have a holiday booked for the 2nd week in September. I work when I want to which, I suppose, is slightly different to your situation. Hopefully you can find a long term supply position.

Lara mfl 05 and les25paul like this.
  10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I always took my holidays in September. It was cheaper, the weather was better and all the kids were back at school.

It never disadvantaged me in getting supply work when I returned. The big advantage of supply is that you can take your holiday when you chose.

Enjoy your holiday.

agathamorse, blazer, pepper5 and 2 others like this.
  11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Take the holiday. Supply tends to be very quiet in September...often up to the October half term.

blazer, les25paul and pepper5 like this.
  12. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

It's a terrible thing to say, but I think a lot of supply work is down to staff taking the p. They like the last few days of term and the first couple of weeks after summer. Obviously, you have to gloat to everyone about how better your summer holiday was than everyone elses.

I am budgeting for the first couple of weeks to be quiet and then everything kick off properly after 2 weeks back when the p takers start taking the p.

les25paul and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

In my experience there is not much short term supply work in September. The staff are rested and in good health. If you can live without a fortnight's money them I'd take the holiday.

I plan my supply work around my holidays.