1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Term time holidays

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by carrie218, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Can anyone tell me if teachers in Scotland are entitled to any holidays during term time? Thanks.

2. Can anyone tell me if teachers in Scotland are entitled to any holidays during term time? Thanks.

3. I wouldn't have thought so, and only in most exceptional circumstances, and for non-holiday reasons. It's just plain unprofessional for teachers to take holidays in term time, when schools have been at pains to convince parents that being in school is so important for their children and taking them out harms their education and their future.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Doubt it unless booked prior to starting the post or for exceptional circumstances (wedding maybe?). Try the Scottish forum, they may be able to give a clearer answer. x

5. Term time holiday is very unlikely to be agreed, though you could ask for unpaid leave (meaning the school can fund a cover teacher), but all schools will look at the loss of the teacher and time with the class as too important to grant for anything other than exceptional circumstances.
    James