1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Term time food!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ilando, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hello cookery bods,
    I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 27 and live alone. I have a lovely kitchen but have never really cooked. I survive on ready meals and must confess to eating pot noddles as my main meal at least three nights a week. My health isn't great so I'm determined to eat more healthy food.

I was thinking about making some meals at the weekend to freeze for term time. Would someone be kind enough to suggest meals that I could make that are easy! I like most food except spicy food.

It would be helpful to have some tried and tested recipes to hand.

Thank you

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Spag bol and chilli are our main freezer staples. Any stew or curry freezes well. Soup, fish pie, cottage pie......

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Do a search on this forum for weekday meals/ budget meals/ after school meals and you'll find lots of ideas. Sorry, too lazy to search and post links just now as I've got lessons to prep for tomorrow.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Get a slow-cooker! (Well, who would have guessed this would be my suggestion!!!)
    Seriously, a slow-cooker is really inexpensive and is so useful.
    You can prepare a meal in the morning. Or even the night before. Just chop up some veg, add some meat and fluid and you're done. Switch the cooker on and leave fore the day. When you get back from work there is a hot, tasty and healthy meal waiting for you.
    I have a two-person pot which actually I find gives me three portions usually. So I can eat one and freeze two - Lakeland Ltd have some terrific little pots that hold one generous portion and go straight from the freezer to the microwave - just change the lid.

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Beth? Suggest a slow cooker? Well, who could have forseen that coming?! [​IMG]
    I tend to make more than I need so that I can freeze extra portions for future use. Weekends/holidays are a godsend for this, but I have found that using a slowcooker is a convenient way of cooking in term time. I just need to remember to replace mine!
    You will also find that having a well-stocked storecupboard (if you don't have one already!) will serve you well. I usually have all sorts of things in my freezer.
    Different kinds of soup, chilli con carne made with beef shin instead of minced beef, coq au vin, lasagne, moussaka, curries, Thai green curry paste (I can knock up a delicious curry from this in under half an hour!), pasta sauces, beef stew, cottage pie, fish pie, a crumble or five .etc.
    If you want any specific recipes, just ask. Normally, I'd post them anyway but my daughter has just woken up half an hour early from her nap and sounds more than just a little stroppy!

7. A well stocked storecupboard ???? Does salt and one out of date stockcube count? [​IMG]

What do you suggest I use to freeze things in? Are plastic containers best?

I

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Mainly I use plastic sandwich bags but if I'm freezing a lasagne or similar I use disposable trays.

9. I use the plastic boxes you often get from a Chinese takeway. Re-useable and good portion sizes.

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I agree - these are perfect for 1 portion. If you don't get Chinese then you can buy the same boxes really cheaply in Wilkinsons or The Range or somewhere similar.
    I use 2 litre ice cream pots because there are two of us.
    I use a pack of CD pens to label and date the pots. Don't forget to label everything.

11. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

But thats half the fun bombay, the freezer roulette!

In my freezer the top drawer will fit in 12 of those plastic tubs (wilkies - 6 pots for £1 ish) when stacked right. If i make a 'sauce' (eg a chicken curry or mince for a Shepard's pie) they feed two of use by the time I add rice/pasta etc.