1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tension among staff

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Bluelamb, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Bluelamb

Bluelamb New commenter

I'm new to Headship in a special needs school. We have a staff of around 70 which is a mixture of Teaching Assistants and teachers (ratio 4:1). As the term has progressed I seem to be finding myself dealing more and more with staff not getting along with each other for one reason and another. This is taking up considerable amounts of my time and is also emotionally draining.

Has anyone advice regarding strategies for dealing with such issues? Please share !

Thanks.

2. asnac

asnac Established commenter

I'm not sure you should be dealing with it unless it has become unprofessional - e.g. staff disagreeing in front of parents or pupils, or not following reasonable instructions.

And if it's unprofessional, you (or the relevant line manager) should be warning the staff concerned.

Bluelamb likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Why are they coming to you with this? You could make it clear that you are not sorting out their differences, that you need to work hard together to establish the school's policies and views of good practice and then those should offer all the guidance needed as to how things are done in your school. if the differences are personal, tell them to sort themselves out. Do you need to show some fairly firm leadership - these might be a symptom of a bit of a power vacuum - people jockeying for position. Tell them you cant prioritise their problems, you have a school to lead.

Bluelamb and pepper5 like this.
  4. mms1

mms1 Occasional commenter

I agree completely with the above having experienced a lot of this in my first 2 years as HT. The people management side of Headship takes up alot of my time and energy and for me, has highlighted my own lack of experience in this area.