1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TENS

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Wylfie, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

Just wanted to gather some opinions. I hadn't really considered using a TENS machine but as the time draws nearer I'm thinking about my options a bit more carefully!

Who has used one? Did it work? What's the best one to use? Is it worth it?

Ta lovely ladies x

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I used one last time and plan to this time too. I hired it from Boots - i think i just got Boots own one. It was about £30 to hire and they send it 3 weeks before your due date and you keep it for a month, and can extend that. Boots also do the Mama TENS for hire which is supposed to be good. (plus you get Advantage points!).
    It worked for me, although i have no basis for comparison so don't know how well i'd have managed without it. I stayed at home for a long time and when i got to hospital and was checked I was 10cm dilated and my son was born 1.5 hours later. So i'd like to think the TENS helped and will definitely be using one this time!

3. I was induced over a period of three days and baby was back to back so it caused quite a lot of back pain in the run up to going into labour- the Tens machine was invaluable. i also used it in the early stages of labour after my waters had been broken. I used the mama tens which can hire from boots. I'd definitely get one again! It makes such a difference at the stage where they tell you you can have a paracetomol!

4. I borrowed one and err, forgot to use it. It was utterly priceless for my afterpains though, as they were horrendous. Loads on eBay and you can just buy new pads for them if you're worried about it being secondhand. Make sure you get one that is made for pregnancy though, not the other type.

5. I used one. Got it off Ebay but it was a Lloyds pharmacy one, think they are £29.99. I spent most if my labour at home and was also 10cm when got to hospital, my baby was born 2 and a hlf hrs later! My labour pain was all in my back so I did find it helped. The only thing I would say was I wished I'd used it earlier in the labour, I left using it till quite late but I think it would've been more useful in the early stage. As was said above make sure you get a labour one as they have four pads instead of the usual two. Good luck!

6. Hi, I used one from really early on in my labour right through til I gave birth. I don't think I could've done it without it! I stayed at home for hours with just the TENS for pain relief and I never turned it up past level 3 (out of 10) as I couldn't bear it too high! That makes me laugh now. I was 7cm dilated when I decided I needed something a little stronger, at which point I had some gas & air. I even kept using it right through the pushing stages when my hubby took over the control pad and was doing it for me...So I'd say yes get one. It might not work for you but then again it could be your saviour. i hired it from Boots...Mama TENS I think. Good luck!