1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tens and Units Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by milkn2sugars, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Do you have Dienes rods? I did this last year with several groups of Year 1 of varying abilities. I put aload of ones on the table and gave each child a long rod (a 10 but didn't name it) and let them play with them , they started stacking the little ones upon the 10 rod, and counting them. They all worked out that they could put 10 little ones on to the long one. The following lesson I started by writing numbers on the board, they had to find the correct number of cubes, there weren't enough little ones for everyone to make the number 14, so we had a discussion as to what we could do, some children suggested using the longer rods. I asked how we could use the long ones, they were too big? Some of the children remembered that a long one was equal to ten little ones. So we got round to using the 10 rod and four ones to make 14. I let the children lead it and allowed them to explain to each other how it worked. We had another short session the following day and all but two of the children could make 2 digit numbers using the rods.

Hope this not too longwinded and I hope it helps.

2. Hey thanks for your ideas. I have rods which are ten cubes long but already joined together and individual unit cubes which fit on top so this may be useful. I think its quite a tricky conecpt for year 1 to understand and i am sure a vast majority of mine will be extremely confused no matter how i approach it!

3. You could try 1p and 10p coins; some find this easier as most are already familiar with money and the concept that silver or gold coins are worth more.

4. I used a visual aid of train carriages with 10 seats. You can show carriages full of people and extra seats. Ask questions such as "how many full carriages would I need for forty people? If these were 43 how many extra seats would I need?" My class understand better when the visual aids are representative of real life. I found 10 sticks and single cubes too abstract for them at first.

5. I have a kit and we build up out use of it.

We start with art straws. Actually getting the kids to make bundles of 10 and put elastic bands around them. We then use those for counting in 10s so they get into the swing of them being worth 10. We then do work on teens numbers (as these always seem to be the hardest!) we then link it to place value cards - showing the number with PV cards, then splitting it and matching it with straws. Once they are confident with this we then begin to link to 10ps and 1ps, but this has to be doen wth caution as many children don't recognise the 10p as being worth 10 - so lots of work linking with the straws. You can always link in the diennes rods as well. We've been really focusing pon place value and have found these resources working well

6. iceni

iceni New commenter

Love the idea of the train and the money is always good. (I always used money when explaining decimals to Y6 as it is so relevant to them). I have also found the straws idea works well.

I saw a program on teachers tv a while back where they taught T numbers and I have done this (with some success) with two Year 1 classes since then,

I take a couple of days out of my maths planning to do T number lessons and reinforce it during mental maths subsequently.

The idea is that the teen numbers are difficult for them. They tend to write 14 as 41 because you say the four first. So teen numbers go like this:

10 - one T, 11 - one T one, 12 - one T two, 13 - one T three, and so on. Twenty is two T, 21 is two T one. I hold up the visuals or show them the numbers on the board and we discuss what the T means (Tens).

As I said, I reinforce the T work afterwards. I would ask them questions where they have to give an answer and then ask, 'What would that be in T numbers'.

I hope you found the explanation clear enough, if not please look it up on teachers tv, (although they didn't call it T numbers). I swear by it.

7. Hi!

I've done the bundles of straws, "magic" using arrow cards, abacus, 100 bead string and a spider jumping down the tens column on 100 square - jumping up/down from a given number in 10s.. I'm an NQT teaching Y1/2 with very limited experience of KS1 and lots of SEN children. (I'm predominately KS2 trained and my background is ICT) I spent a lot of time going over the fact that a unit can only be a mximum of 9 before it spilled over into tens column, then 10s can only go up to 99 before becoming 100 etc, etc

I don't know if it's because I've been particularly lucky with my current cohort, but they've all managed to crack partitioning and adding ten to a given number. I began the year with lots of work on finding their way around a 100 square. We partitioned early 2 digits early on in Autumn term.

We do lots of counting on and back in 10's We love shouting out "ty" rather than "teen" and I have a puppet to listen out for anyone who shouts out "twelve" instead of "twenty" - he hasn't managed to catch anyone out yet!!

Quite randomly I ask them how many tens and how many units in the date etc - just to check up.

Recently I had to do an off the cuff lesson which I hadn't planned for (Sats and Ofsted) but I wrote an ad-hoc smartboard file in about half an hour before hand - it was one of the best lessons I had taught so far! Email me and I'll send you the file - it's only got the intro and plenary - I had photocopied differentiated activies from Collins (Year 1 and Year 2) for the activity, plus had a skittles games for my SEN.

Hope this is of some help.
    Eljay xx

8. Hiya
    I'm a trainee teacher struggling to plan a fun lesson to understand tens and units for year one.
    Did you an useful file?

Thankyou!!

Tasleem Alam

9. I've used Ben Ten before (very boy heavy year 1 class) I made a game where they added numbers together, when they had ten aliens they could swap for a Ben Ten ! I also had picture cards with Ben Ten and say 4 aliens, and they had to say what number it was. Went down very well and they remembered it and used it for the rest of the year.

10. I would please love a copy of your plans!
    tiahunt01@hotmail.com
    Regards

11. If possible could you email me this resources?

alanna.thrower1985@gmail.com

Many Thanks