1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tennis fans must "wake up to the greatness" of Novak Djokovic

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jul 15, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

according to Boris Becker
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48981819

Actually I don't really want this thread to be about Djokovic, who is a great player who has won 16 Grand Slam tournaments including five Wimbledon titles. I would like to discuss why British crowds take irrational likes and dislikes towards sporting stars, attitudes seemingly based on little more than prejudice, rather than sporting discernment?

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The crowd tend to pick a sidei any match. It makes it more interesting to watch if you care who wins. Federer is a long term favourite, whoever he plays

3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I don't dislike him. Federer appears more gentlemanly in demeanour but I don't judge a tennis player's greatness on that basis.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I regard him a bit like Pete Sampras - brilliant but boring...

strawbs, nizebaby and HelenREMfan like this.
  5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

This

He appears to lack any personality. People don’t warm to him.

strawbs likes this.
  6. LondonCanary

Who are you referring to? It's a tough call who has the most personality but id give it to Djokovic after a tie break.

7. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Personality clash IMO. The British public tend not to warm to the type of arrogance and moodiness that he has displayed over the years. Classy winners or plucky underdogs for us. Great tennis player, bit of a nob.

8. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I would have no clue as to why we would support a Swiss. Incidentally did anyone **** the size of the diamond on his wife's ring and the size of the stones in her earrings?
    I was always rooting for Djokovic.

9. LondonCanary

When there is no Brit playing, any nationality will do. Tennis is not particularly nationalistic other than Fed or Davis Cup and Olympics.

10. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

I thought most tennis fans recognised the greatness of Djokovic. Wimbledon fans however...

11. LondonCanary

They do but when people are there that often pick a side particularly if the player is well known or well publicised.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Rod Laver.
    Bjorn Borg.

I lost interest after that.

The facts speak for themselves. Plus his bank balance is rumoured to be around $200 million. I don't suppose he cares that much. He really shouldn't!

13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I really enjoyed the match yesterday. There was some very skillful playing. They are both great players. It was a shame that one of them had to lose. Well done to them both.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

What are the facts that speak for themselves?

15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Sporting discernment covers many things, not just actual victories or form on paper .Sure, if you count the victories and latest track record you could support one and not the others.
    But sportsmanship is also a basis for supporting one player over another.
    It is not sportsmanlike to subtly cause delay, to complain, to grumble, to shout or to outmaneuver on the basis of emotion, and yet all of these things can be used as sporting tactics legitimately.

My own sporting discernment makes me a Federer fan because I see him as a better sportsman. I'm happier to follow the level headed, and those who take it on the chin when the chips are down. If I wanted my children to grow into world class sport, I'd want them to learn from him and not from Djokovic, because the traits displayed in play, which are nurtured and practiced, are more the sort of thing I admire. I suspect this is also part of the general adulation expressed for him in the crowds yesterday. It is important to be nice as well as be a good player. It's a one on one sport-the play and the person are all part of the package, and therefore all part of what we choose to support.

I also lost a further smidgen of fan-respect for Djokovic when he replicad to the precise word a part of Federer's finishing interview to the crowd. Exact same wording about returning to family life. Oi! Think of your own words next time!

Becker (year on year increasingly ingratiating, like some sort of carpet salesman) stating that we must wake up to the greatness of him-of course he had to say that-he's hoping for another call at some point, isn't he?

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes. Federer really did deserve to lose.

[​IMG]

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

MAGAorMIGA and Oscillatingass like this.
  18. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Djokovic will be the greatest of all time.

Come on Tim!!!!

19. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I think Federer at his best is the best tennis player there has ever been. I realize others will disagree but there just seems to be something quite extraordinary about the accuracy and variety of his shots, and his ability to return serve and cover the court. The sad fact is, he is no longer as good as he used to be yet still able to reach a Wimbledon final and give the current best player in the world a darned good game.

20. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Good Grief! How sad!

You've not watched Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray? Four of the greatest players of all time playing against each other for over a decade.

You're not a tennis fan.