1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Tendered my notice!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by thejudgesscoresarein, Oct 6, 2019.

1. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

As you may have read on previous threads, it is my intention to retire at the end of this academic year- had a meeting with the CoG yesterday and informed them that I am going to be leaving my post in August 2020. I’ve done this early but it gives the governing body plenty of time to source a replacement- now the countdown is on, it’s getting real that I’m finally after all these years saying goodbye to a job and a career that I love but as I come up for 60, it’s time to move onto new pastures. Is any other HT serving notice to leave or retire at the moment?

digoryvenn and Rott Weiler like this.
  2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Well done, judges, on making the decision and having the conversation. Mine was a couple of years ago rather than now but I remember the feelings well. Enjoy the ‘Last Time I’ll......’ occasions. Mind you, my ‘last time I’ll have Ofsted’ came very close to the end of my resignation period.

If you haven’t done so, give your chair of governors a letter with your intention to retire and the August 31st date. If that is before your 60 th birthday include that you will be taking Actuarially Adjusted Benefits and have given more than six months notice. Request a written acceptance as you will need this when you apply for your pension.

I'm sure others making the decision this year will be along. I enjoyed my role but the sense of relief to hand over the responsibilities was enormous.

digoryvenn likes this.
  3. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

Way off retirement but jealous. The job is ridiculously hard.

digoryvenn and welshwales like this.
  4. littlevanner

littlevanner New commenter

I have just done the same ! Immense relief and not a little anxiety about it all. I told SLT this week and will tell the rest of the staff at next whole school meeting. I am going one year early but am finding it increasingly difficult to muster enthusiasm so know the time is nigh. In all honesty I would have gone this year if I could have afforded it - the stress as HT is considerable.

Northhead, Jesmond12 and welshwales like this.
  5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I had an OFSTED inspection back in January 2019 which was judged outstanding- so I don’t think they will be coming back before I leave- but who knows? I’m not worried anyway if they do.
    I turn 60 in December 2020- so I’ll be retiring when I’m 59. I was going to retire at Christmas 2020- but I plan to re-locate to the south west and ideally want to be in my new home by my 60th Birthday. I informed the CoG of my intentions to retire in a meeting and I am in the process of writing a letter to confirm my departure. I am announcing the news to the staff in the coming days and will be sending out a message in the weekly newsletter as the CoG is advertising my role in the next two weeks.
    My Deputy Headteacher has been informed of my decision to retire- as they have only been in their role since this September (promoted from AHT) they are aware that they don’t have sufficient experience to take on the role of Headteacher just yet- they didn’t express any immediate interest in the role but I did mention that whilst, the decision to appoint my successor is not mine, the governing body will be looking for either an experienced Deputy or Headteacher to move the school forward. I personally think they will be ready for headship within the next 3 years, however, they really haven’t had much ‘exposure’ if that makes sense.

welshwales likes this.
  6. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Yup- my sentiments too...

digoryvenn and Northhead like this.
  7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Well done, you must be feeling a mixture of emotions. I have been retired two years this September. I was originally planning to go in December 2017 but following an Ofsted visit in September 2016 when we were downgraded to RI I decided to go in August 2017. At first I was very motivated to get the school back to good.

However by February 2017 I decided enough was enough and I told my C of G my intentions.

Once I had told everyone it was a great feeling and apart from showing candidates around school I had very little to say in the process.

A new candidate came in with lots of ideas and changes and the school has recently been inspected. They remained RI so I felt a little guilty in being pleased with this result.