1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ten years on...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by yasimum, Feb 12, 2012.

1. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

A lovely contributor to the Overseas forum recently messaged me to ask if I realised that I joined TES ten years ago in January. I hadn't actually but it started me thinking about all the fun and drama I have enjoyed on TES, particularly in this forum!
    My daughter was in pre-school when I started contributing and she is now in her second year of high school. I have met three wonderful people from TES when they came to Australia, Shifter, simpkins and squibbler which was so much fun. Poor old simpkins had too much sun at the cricket and was very unwell the poor thing. Shifter stayed for a couple of days and I had the privilege of taking him to the cemetary to find his uncle's gravesite and squibbs and I went walking with our unruly hounds.
    I know it is just a forum but I really think a lot of the people who have been around and think of them as friends. Even when things were going wrong, the drama of it was fun and when I think back now at how ridiculous it was, it always makes me laugh.
    I have been told that I come across as very school marm'ish but that from someone I like, respect and admire so I'll cop that one on the chin.
    Thanks for your companionship, all the things I have learned from you all and the fun we have had ranting on here (sometimes those rants saved my sanity). Hope to see you around for another ten!

2. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

A lovely contributor to the Overseas forum recently messaged me to ask if I realised that I joined TES ten years ago in January. I hadn't actually but it started me thinking about all the fun and drama I have enjoyed on TES, particularly in this forum!
    My daughter was in pre-school when I started contributing and she is now in her second year of high school. I have met three wonderful people from TES when they came to Australia, Shifter, simpkins and squibbler which was so much fun. Poor old simpkins had too much sun at the cricket and was very unwell the poor thing. Shifter stayed for a couple of days and I had the privilege of taking him to the cemetary to find his uncle's gravesite and squibbs and I went walking with our unruly hounds.
    I know it is just a forum but I really think a lot of the people who have been around and think of them as friends. Even when things were going wrong, the drama of it was fun and when I think back now at how ridiculous it was, it always makes me laugh.
    I have been told that I come across as very school marm'ish but that from someone I like, respect and admire so I'll cop that one on the chin.
    Thanks for your companionship, all the things I have learned from you all and the fun we have had ranting on here (sometimes those rants saved my sanity). Hope to see you around for another ten!

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I feel much the same about the virtual relationships we all have here. There is a warm and fuzzy feeling, and visiting is often like coming home. Even the crazy uncle ranting in the corner has a place.
    It's been lovely 'knowing' you. I respect your posts and viewpoints.
    Here's to your ten, my (not yet) ten, and tens for everyone around!

4. err...do I know you?

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Thanks GG and right back at you! That is exactly what I was trying to say. It is the familiarity that feels so comfortable. There might be annoyances but they are OUR annoyances.
    Robby, not sure we have met. Were you in a boy band?

6. Congrats on your 10 years Yasimum! You were the first person I actually felt able to connect with and though I have only checked in very infrequently over the years, you, SMT Dude, Mainwaring, and GulfGolf always seem to be there to answer questions a Yank has about British schools...methinks ("it seems to me") I like this place!

7. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Thanks Fred Grod! Yes, it is like any old friendship, other things take over but then you can instantly reconnect when you need to. That is what I like about it as well. Such a wealth of experience here. I was recently unwell and I really felt a bit bereft without my forum to go and have a complain to. So as is my way (being quite an unbalanced soul), now I am spamming the damn forum!

8. I think I'm gonna barf..
    [​IMG]

9. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I'll hold the bucket but I refuse to hold your hair back. Barf away!

10. Nah.... from one Aussie to another or one unbalanced soul to another. At least you can spell.
    Must get back to the text type course book I am writing for Spanish 3 year olds - my extra-curricular activity or something of that nature. [​IMG]
    But this morning was fun before and after the freezing interlude.
    Have a good rest.
    I hope I'm not still here in 10 years time. There must be an age limit to this, soorly.

11. Hair? You mistake me for someone else!

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Sorry 'bout that. Just a natural reaction as whenever my daughter throws up my first thought is bucket quickly followed by trying to keep her mane out of it! And stop trying to be such a grumpy pants. We all know you are a big softy at heart!
    Hi notyet! My spelling is definitely deteriorating as I get older.Sometimes I see these howlers that are very simple words. Too much stuff floating around in my head at the moment it would seem.

13. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I remember first hearing about the forum from a colleague back in 2001 when I had just moved overseas to Saudi
    He said 'hey, there's this great thing on the TES, they call it the staffroom and there is a forum for overseas teachers. You can ask all sorts of questions and get advice and stuff, it's great'
    So I signed up and havent looked back since.
    I do believe (you can correct me if I'm wrong) that I had the same conversation with FP in Egypt around 2004/2005 and got him hooked too.....
    I think the heyday for the overseas forum was around 2006/2007 when it was a very 'lively' forum but the format was changed and it went quiet. It has perked up a little again in the last couple of years though.
    (BTW you will see my sign up date as 2005. I signed up before this but had to re-register - can't rememebr why)

14. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Yes, 2005-2007 seemed to be a good vintage. I think the first person I had a conversation with on Overseas was mainwaring. If I remember correctly it was about Singapore V Thailand. There were lots of people around then that I don't ever see any more. Massive Geoff who started the Weather thread and relaxed, sarbs, simpkins, jennifer, Wonder what they are all up to now.

15. When I first started actually contributing to this forum, I was warned, "they'll eat you alive".
    That hasn't happened yet. Maybe they're waiting for me to fatten up a bit.
    [​IMG]

16. Who said that? Was it me? There have been some cutting sorts on the threads in the past. In truth, everyone seems to more polite to each other now.
    Quite the reverse of 'Come Dine With Me', don't you think?
    ps - Roberto, that was not a reference to me eating you alive.

17. sally bee

sally bee New commenter

I would like to say, as an daily fan of TES, that I have read all of your 1000 + posts over the past 10 years. I congratulate you for your longevity and empathy and intelligence.

You will note that I have made less posts than you..... by a long way!!!

But i have read the forum avidly for the entire time you have been on it,

So thank you, you are highly valued.

Sally

18. You're so kind.....
    [​IMG]

19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Well done, Yas, for weathering ten years of Pharaoh and me.
    I snort with contempt every time I note TES's 'information' that I joined in 2002. In fact it was 1998. I must be one of the few who still have the same user name from those days, though there was a close shave a couple of years ago when the mods handed me a severe admonishment for teasing Clovis, who is now on his ninety-ninth (knock!) incarnation as a centipede with a wooden leg.

20. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Snorting with contempt? My goodness, you're not Clovis are you?