1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ten years after 9/11 - What's your school doing?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by MilliScott, May 23, 2011.

1. Ten years ago, a plane crashed into the twin towers in America, and the world changed. How is your school dealing with the experiences your pupils face in the legacy of 9/11?
    Two national events taking place this summer will equip teachers with the skills and confidence to facilitate constructive dialogue and critical engagement with the issues raised by the anniversary of September 11th.
    These events will prepare teachers to meet the challenges of September 11th, and to deal powerfully with the anniversary in school. The events will cover teaching approaches and techniques to enable pupils to engage critically and thoughtfully with the controversial, sensitive and topical issues raised at this time.
    Manchester, 6th July
    London, 7th July

2. san38

san38 New commenter

I don't wish to be contentious but my answer to the above is 'nothing' and why should they be? I do not for one minute deny the horrendous nature of the events of 9/11 nor wish to undermine in any way the suffering of those involved. However, thousands of people die every day in equally tragic circumstances because of both the forces of nature and the acts of humanity. Why should 9/11 be treated differently?
    I would suggest that this is an advertisement intended to sell and as such misplaced here. RE teachers deal every day with the controversial and the sensitive. I fail to see why we need to pay for a day out to 'prepare us to deal powerfully with this anniversary'.

3. I am absoloutely gobsmacked by these responses. I agree that it may not be within the remit of RE and I certainly wasn't planning to address 9/11 specifically.
    However to say that the impact on our society is comparable to any other day when people die is shocking!!!!

Tell that to the Muslims who face prejudice because of their beliefs. Tell that to my husband who fought in both Iraq and Afgahanistan. Tell that to the families of the soldiers who didn't come back. Tell that to my colleague who was injured in the London Bombings.

Maybe because the kids aren't old enough to remember is exactly why we should talk about it.

Sorry to sound all soapboxy!

4. The people and organisations who are involved with the conference are genuine educators and the themes look highly relevant to RE teaching, eg dealing with extremism, controversial subjects etc, even if it wasn't ten years after 9/11.

5. Not a lot- but we do keep a look out for low flying planes.

6. 576

576 Occasional commenter

It makes me feel so old to realise how small the pupils I teach NOW were when 9/11 happened, it's not part of their experience - one this year even told me it was an accident. They just don't know that much.
    I currently teach abroad but I'd rather see a UK thing focus on the 7th of July bombings in London. I have taught too many British kids who knew far more about 9/11 than 7/7.
    Both were horrendous. But I'm sure British students can relate more to British events - it also wasn't so long along so more chance of them remembering something!