1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ten Year Teacher Sabbatical

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by happysci, Jul 4, 2018.

1. happysci

happysci New commenter

Hi after the announcement in May regarding the paid sabbaticals, I haven't been able to find anymore details about it or how to apply. I've looked on the DfE website and see anything. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated...

...not that I'm desperate to get out for a year or anything!
    Thanks in advance.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

When you say "the announcement in May" do you mean the DFE response to the consultation on improving career progression? AFAIK nothing at all has happened although the response said that a pilot would start in September 2019.

For those who didn't see the DfE response...

We will set up a work-related sabbaticals pilot for more established teachers. This will start in September 2019 for a pilot cohort who have been in the profession for at least ten years. Responses were clear that this could be very positive, but that there would need to be clear criteria. We will develop these criteria and explore the potential delivery models, drawing on international comparisons, and publish further information in the autumn ready for the first cohort to apply. We will establish a strong evaluation of the pilot. This must consider the longer-term effects of a sabbatical programme on the individual and their school, including the manageability of supporting a sabbatical. Given that the policy intention is to support the retention of more established teachers as well as improve perceptions of the professionalism of teaching, we will need to be sure that any such programme has a positive impact in these areas.
    Information about how the 2019 pilot will work is due to be published this autumn. I wouldn't hold your breath.