1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ten Tips To Help You Get Another Teaching Job After A Bad Experience

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by theedudicator, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hello,

Can I just direct you to the eBook that I've just finished writing?

I've written this eBook in response to the number of teachers I've met who have had a bad experience at work and are trying to secure a post in another school. Quite often, obstacles will be put in place by the school you have had a bad experience at, and this book aims to show you how to overcome them.

It's available for free download, and I don't want your email address in return for it or anything. Tell me what you think.

DOWNLOAD

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Excellent advice! xx

3. I thought that your book contained excellent advice except for the section where you wrote that you should declare health information prior to an interview, so that you appear to have 'nothing to hide'. To cut a very long story short, I was off with a stress related illness earlier this year (I don't want to disclose full details on a public forum) and was concerned that I wouldn't get another job because of this. However, ACAS told me what you correctly wrote in your e-book (that the Equality Act 2010 states that I cannot be asked questions about my health beyond the usual disability questions, in order to determine if I need reasonable adjustments, unless I am either shortlisted or offered a job-the situation is greyer for agencies).
    In practice, I've found that 2 supply teaching agencies that I disclosed my health issues to before they put me forward for a particular position were very negative about it and were very doubtful about whether their clients would offer me work because of this. In contrast, another agency and other colleges that I have applied for jobs with didn't even ask (the agency consultant even went as far as to say that the agency 'wasn't interested in asking about my health''), so my view is why make life more difficult for myself than I need to? In my opinion, another way of increasing my chances about making a fresh start is to be positive. Firstly, by keeping this issue separate until I need to mention it (then I can be absolutely sure I'm being judged on merit rather than whether the employers think I'm gaga and likely to be off sick again as soon as I start-totally untrue!). Secondly, I think it's better to be positive about the past instead going down the I've had this and that route because of what the bosses did in my previous employment route. Of course, I'm not going to deny my health issues but as I said not until I need to and given the current state of the job market, I feel that it's more sensible to show some discretion instead of telling potential employers my medical woes of this year before they've had a proper chance to judge me as a teacher by reading my application form/CV.
    I realise that not everyone will share my view on here but this approach makes perfect sense to me and I wanted to share it with you, so that people in my situation could use it as a way of dealing with it if it happens to them.
    Thanks again for your excellent book!

4. jellycowfish

jellycowfish New commenter

Great advice - can I make a comment about the Agreed References though?
    In the situation you mention, an agreed ref is obviously better than the unknown a head may write, but I have an agreed ref from my last post ('Agreed' as in it was the best I could get after refusing a few drafts) . I have been advised by a HT in interview not to use it, as it is obviously 'agreed' and therefore potentially damaging. I have also been refused registration to a supply agency as their policy is not to take anyone on with an Agreed Ref.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

For those of you who have a Kindle . . .
    If you follow the link and then click the Share button, you get an automated e-mail header. Put in there your @free.kindle.com e-mail address. Delete the name of the document in the Subject line, and replace it with Convert.
    It will then get sent directly to your Kindle in less than a minute.
    There are some good points made, although the issue of references is the major problem. Many schools now ask referees to say whether it is a reference agreed as part of a Compromise Agreement, and are wary if this proves to be the case.
    Good luck to all.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I am timetabled for the October workshops - see you there!

6. As I understand it, there is a confidentiality element included, which precludes either party revealing the contract exists and its contents - breaching it meaning that the teacher can be forced to pay back any monies received and the school if they break it can then be pursued via tribunal, court etc.
    Is this no longer accurate?

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Dilemma time for certain schools!

8. Hello
    I also think the ebook is on the whole very good advice, but like anon326 I am unsure about the declaration of ill health. I am starting a new job soon and didn't mention my previous ill health at interview. I wasn't asked about my attendance (which has been very good apart from one long spell off sick) so I haven't lied but I likewise I haven't brought it up. I'm not sure if I have done the right thing or not now because they might not have chosen me if they had known about it but finding out through my reference rather than from me not best either. I really want a fresh start and really hope that finding out about my period off sick doesn't prejudice anyone against me.

9. Yes, I wasn't sure about this particular point, but I decided to go from my personal experience where I took your view, only to relapse, and the fact that I had 'deceived' senior management at interview meant that I was treated twice as harshly. It does depend on your own progress and whether you think you're likely to relapse - but I thought I wouldn't and I did.

10. You are absolutely right, and I do mention that an agreed reference is quite obvious that something's gone wrong. It depends on where you're applying and their view on agreed references as to whether you use one.

11. Oooh good question! I think I was asked not to mention what had actually happened at that place of work, but stating that there was a CA is OK. I just can't state what is in that CA. Is that right though?

12. Right last reply from me! I just wanted to say thanks for all the positive messages, and I'm just so pleased that this is of use to people.

I've mentioned a few times that what you decide to do depends on your individual circumstances, so, if you want my opinion on your individual circumstances then you can PM me or contact me through the blog.

13. NUT advice has always been that once a CA has been signed/agreed, neither party can refer to its existence nor its contents, to do so makes it void and any "monies/compensation" paid to the teacher, if the teacher's fault will need to be repaid, but if the fault of the school, the teacher can then pursue tribunals etc.