1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ten minute activity with a group of year 3/4?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by treespirit, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi, I am an NQT and this is my second interview. Does anyone have any ideas for a ten minute activity that I can do with the children? Just seems such a short time for it to even have a context. Should I be writing a plan for this? All I can think of is a drama ice breaker, 'the name game', whcih helps the chidlren express a part of their personality in word/sound/movement? Would this be a good choice?
    Eeek!
    Many thanks x

2. Hi, I am an NQT and this is my second interview. Does anyone have any ideas for a ten minute activity that I can do with the children? Just seems such a short time for it to even have a context. Should I be writing a plan for this? All I can think of is a drama ice breaker, 'the name game', whcih helps the chidlren express a part of their personality in word/sound/movement? Would this be a good choice?
    Eeek!
    Many thanks x

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Yes, you should always have a plan. They might not be interested in it, but no sense in not having it prepared anyway.

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

How big is the group? Do you have any spec at all regarding subject/activity?

I had a similar time frame with 15 yr 3's for my NQT interview and decided to make the LO To use adjectives and adverbs in a sentence. I prepared a selection of these words ready. I started the lesson by getting the children sat in a cirlce by giving the children a sentence to start them off, which they each had to add to with a sentence of their own to create a story. Then we went round again but this time they had to pass the bag round the circle and pick out a word to incorporate into their sentence. Then again with 2. At the end of each round I repeated the whole story really fast to make the kids laugh, it was fun! I got the job.

5. No spec at all- "we would therefore like you to plan a ten minute activity which you feel will help them get to know you and demonstrate your ability to relate positively with chidlren". That's it. That is why I thoguht I would go for something more PSHE. What do you think?

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Yeah, the 'relate positively' seems fairly informal to me so something drama -ish sounds fine.

7. How would I mention that I could assess the children? I have never had to assess children through PSHE/SEAL before. What do you think? Cheers muchly btw.