1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary Year Contract - have to reapply.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by camafab, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hello
    I'm currently on a temporary 1 year contract ending August 31st 2011. I asked my head what the situation is with my job and he said that he is going to have to put the job up to be advertised for next year and it will be another year contract. Is this normal?

I am now looking to apply for other jobs although most in the area are also fixed year contracts. The post at my current school hasn;t been advertised yet, but i will apply when it is. If I applied for it and got another fixed year contract at my current school, does it then become permanent becasue at the end I will have worked for 2 years?

Many thanks in advance.

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

If the HT has a valid reason for this being a contract post then yes you can have another Fixed Term contract, however the HT does not need to advertise it. At this stage - after 1 year - you have the right not to be Unfairly Dismissed' the problem with this is it depends on your schools dismissal policy as to what is Unfair.
    As far as the two years are concerned, were you to get another contract, you would then have the right to a Redundancy Payment should your contract not be renewed. The right to Permanent contract would be after 4 years.
    I'm not sure why the post is contract, perhaps your HT is using it as a way to flex staff numbers. Whilst this is discouraged it is difficult to stop it happening, in theory permanent posts should be offered on permanent contracts, but increasingly Fixed Term are being used as a way of vetting staff and of reducing staff costs. It is far less expensive to have teachers in the early years of their careers than long termers going up the payscale.