1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary to Permanent after 4 years??

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by ebe, Apr 22, 2012.

1. ebe

ebe New commenter

Can I just clarify...

From September 2012 I will be starting my fourth year of 4 temporary fixed-term yearly contracts, renewed each year, same job, same school.

Does my contract become permanent if they then renew it at the end of this 4th year, so going into the 5th contract, or does the fact that I will have completed 4 years mean they have to extend it into a permanent contract at the end of that year?

Reading the extract above, I'm assuming that if they decided not to renew my contract at the end of the 4th year, then I don't get the permanent contract.

Is that right?

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

The advice was not wrong. Please read the legislation.

3. Lalad

Lalad Senior commenter

Unfortunately, even though the advice given above is correct, there is not a lot you can do if your school persists in keeping you on temporary contracts.
    Believe it or not, I have taught at one school for nearly 10 years now on temporary contracts. Over the years I have questioned this and have had a variety of reasons given including temporary funding, falling numbers, operational requirements, change of Head, etc.
    Last year, after consulting my Union on another matter, I asked again, citing the 4 year rule; the school agreed that I should be on a permanent contract but said that it didn't really matter because legally my employment rights etc are exactly the same due to the length of time I have been continuously employed.
    I have given up asking.

4. I have been an Associate Lecture for 3 years now, so have been interested by this 4 year thing; however it seems my college gets round this by not employing ALs over the summer, so you never get 4 years continuous employment. (effectively sacked and re-employed each year). Seems a bit of a loophole in the education sector as of course colleges don't need all the staff over the summer.

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I'd check that one out with a union. I am an AL for the OU: we are only paid for 9 months of the year, but it is regarded as continuous employment. I don't know if that's something the unions have thrashed out with the OU, or whether it's what has to happen legally.