1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary TLR question

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by HellsandBells, Oct 23, 2011.

1. HellsandBells

HellsandBells New commenter

Hiya, I need a little information and advice.
    Last year, I was appointed Numeracy Co-ordinator after the previous co-ordinator left to take up a post in another school. I was awarded a temporary TLR for my efforts. That has been renewed for this year, but again it is temporary. I'm not covering for sickness or maternity leave and have been given no reason as to why it is temporary, only the suggestion that it is down to budget. My last performance management went well, and my HT suggested another leadership course, as other younger colleagues might be doing the other leadership course that I've already done. She mentioned that, as I only had a temporary TLR, I need to make sure I am more qualified than other staff. Now this might be fair enough, but it got me to wondering exactly why I was on a temporary TLR. I'm doing the same amount of work as other TLR staff and attending the same meetings. I'm doing two courses outside of school, for the benefit of the school as well as me, but in my own time (and these are part of my PM targets too).
    I've recently heard that a temporary TLR should only be awarded if you are covering for someone else. Is this correct?
    I don't want to kick up a fuss in school, that's not the type of person I am, but I want to be treated fairly.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. HellsandBells

HellsandBells New commenter

I should add that I count myself lucky to have a TLR, as I've held another co-ordinator role in the past which required a lot of work but no extra payment, a situation which other staff are currently in. I just want to know if I'm being treated fairly in my SLT role.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

There have been other threads on this issue. Temporary TLRs are not allowed in the STPCD, they are explicitly disallowed.......Except when filling in temporarily for an absent colleague (maternity or long-term sickness) or as has happened to a colleague of mine whilst awaiting a permanent appointment. My colleague is in the 3 rd year of this temporary arrangement, the post has never been advertised or expressions of interest sought from anyone else. It is being used to intimidate the teacher but they consistenly refuse to take a stand, so it continues.
    You can object and then refuse to do the work temporarily or participate in a selection process and that is what I would do personally but that's up to you. You might seek union advice and support if you intend to follow this route..

4. It never ceases to amaze me that these sorts of thing get through LA payroll and HR depts, who should know the rules!