1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary supply teaching

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by TeacherofMFLanguages, Sep 9, 2018.

1. TeacherofMFLanguages

TeacherofMFLanguages New commenter

Hi everyone.

I am an NQT, found a job in May, and I got pregnant (due date in Feb), I felt that I had to let my school know and postpone my start there since I cannot just leave my classes in the middle of the school year. In the meantime I am looking to do some supply. I see that daily rates can go up to £150, but how much of this do you actually take home (if you consider transportation fees up tp 20 miles)? Do they take it into consideration if you do not work full time? Do you have any good agencies to recommend for the Midlands?
    Obviously as you can imagine, I want to save up for my little one's essentials, beddings etc.

Thanks in advance!

pepper5 likes this.
  2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Hi. I’m in the Midlands and as M6 I earn between £110 and £120 a day. I don’t know any supply teachers in the East Midlands who earn more than that unless on a long term placement with AWR. You need to cover transport costs yourself just as you would with most jobs but if you’re having to travel a long distance some agencies will offer an extra £5 or £10 a day as an incentive.

install, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  3. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Um...yes, you can leave your classes mid-year. I am shocked that your school accepted this, eg. they should have been much more supportive and encouraging which does not bode well for your eventual return (what if the baby is sick and you need time off, etc).

Get a union asap, too.

As for supply, it may be quite slow until October half-term but @pepper5 is a fab poster with oodles of experience so I have sent a prompt - there are others around who are great as well for advice.

Good luck!

agathamorse, JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Btw, I’m also MFL, French and German with 23 years experience.

install, sabrinakat and pepper5 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi TofMFL

Welcome to the forum and many congratulations on your exciting news. Of course you need the essentials for your little one. You may wish to have a look through the forum on pregnancy as there may be some hints and advice on there - what to buy new and what you can manage buying second hand etc.

In the meantime, there is a thread posted at the top of this forum titled "New to Supply" which is a good starting point for you to read so you know some of the trip wires.

As for find decent agencies as well as asking on here you can:

1. Make a list of all the schools close to you and the ones where you think you might want to work at. The ones with good reputations with behaviour etc.
    2. Phone the schools and speak to the cover manager and ask them if they employ supply teachers directly without agencies. If they say no then ask them which agencies they think are the best and the ones they use.

As sabrinakat says it is generally slow until October and it never did pick up last year until after the half term. However, much of it depends on where in the country you are in and what subjects you teach. This year, however, may be different since during the summer term almost everyone was busy right up until the last day of term which was unusual.

Try to pace yourself and if you can don't work every day. If you are in a position to do so, perhaps you could do only pre-booked work. While you want to earn money, you have to be realistic and take care of yourself and your baby.

Agathamorse

Wow. 23 years' experience in the classroom. That is impressive.

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I do long-term, secondary supply in Maths/Science and get £195 per day, as this is via an Umbrella Company (avoid these if possible) then I take home around £125.

However Mrs C is MFL (French/Spanish) and doing supply from Sep 1st and so far has worked and earned 0 hours and £0.00 respectively.

Also note that supply pay is subject to negotiation and the only guideline for school/agency/teacher is whatever the strongest party can get away with. This could be you if you get some work soon.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

As John says,
    Stay clear of the umbrella companies.
    You will get stung.

Try to get agency to pay, PAYE,

8. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

I earnt £110 a day and £130 for longer assignments. That was my gross pay before tax and included holiday pay.

I agree with @sabrinakat I have known people get pregnant after accepting a new job and still carrying on with the job.

agathamorse, pepper5 and sabrinakat like this.
  9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi John

Trust Mrs C gets some work soon. Has she ever worked as a supply teacher before?

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

Hi Pepper,

She's done supply before but not for quite some time. Also finances aren't tight in the Cazorla household so we can bear a drought in September, especially as I'm still getting the money in.

She's also casting around for non-teaching jobs so she'll no doubt find someway to avoid day-time TV and get a few quid in.

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Glad you have a bit of a buffer so Mrs C can have some time to get sorted. It may pick up soon anyway.

How has your first few days been?

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. JohnJCazorla

The short answer is 'okay I suppose' but as the long answer would be a few pages it'll have to do. I'm still not prepared to predict if I'll jump ship at October half-term or not.