1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary position about to end..or is it..??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Richiepitch, May 7, 2012.

1. Hi

I have been working as a supply teacher teaching music in a school/academy for (18 months). I have been
    told that my post to cover maternity leave will continue until 20th July this year. I am fairly sure that the post
    holder will not want to return and I would like to continue working at the school for a while to get settled.

I am also applying to other schools to get work. I have applied but am not doing very well. I have had no response or rejection letters in the post. How can I compete when other candidates have better A Level results, in service training courses and better degree classifications than me?I cannot bear the thought of being out of work again as when the last time this happened I faced a severe bout of depression.

I dont want to lose this job and I will never give up as this is a job a really enjoy and I believe in the new headteachers vision for the school and he is listening to the staff to make a real big change for the future of the academy.

I would appreciate any help anybody can give me.

Thanks.

2. Hi

I have been working as a supply teacher teaching music in a school/academy for (18 months). I have been
    told that my post to cover maternity leave will continue until 20th July this year. I am fairly sure that the post
    holder will not want to return and I would like to continue working at the school for a while to get settled.

I am also applying to other schools to get work. I have applied but am not doing very well. I have had no response or rejection letters in the post. How can I compete when other candidates have better A Level results, in service training courses and better degree classifications than me?I cannot bear the thought of being out of work again as when the last time this happened I faced a severe bout of depression.

I dont want to lose this job and I will never give up as this is a job a really enjoy and I believe in the new headteachers vision for the school and he is listening to the staff to make a real big change for the future of the academy.

I would appreciate any help anybody can give me.

Thanks.

3. Hi Richiepitch! There is nothing more frustrating than applying for jobs and not getting the interview you may well deserve! Have you spoken to your head about the possibility of staying on at the academy? They obviously value you as a teacher if they have kept you on for 18 months. Showing you are keen and demonstrating what you have to offer can do no harm. Are there any other jobs in subjects you might be able to teach at the school opening up in September?

I would definitely recommend reading this article on job applications(https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6008055).

I applied for a number of jobs and did not even get a rejection letter before reading this article. After I read it and included an 'Executive Summary' after my supporting statement I got offered two interviews and got the job at one! It's something I had never even thought of but makes sense.

Enjoy the article and I hope it helps you! Good luck.