1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary/Permanent contracts

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bimboedder, Mar 29, 2012.

1. I wonder if anyone could help or advise me?
    I finished uni 2 years ago and went straight into a temporary teaching job for a year. This was then extended to another year due to finish this July. I have questionned my school as to when I would be made permanent or even If I was entitled to made permanent. 6 weeks has gone past and i'm still none the wiser even after asking!
    People have said thatafter 2 years on a temporary contract in the same school they must make you permanent - does anyone know anything about this?
    Thank you in advance

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

No they don't, it's 4 years. After 2 years you are entitled to Redundancy and after 1 year not to be Unfairly Dismissed. If your post ends in July and was from Sept 1st 2010 it would be shy of 2 years but they would need a good reason to renew.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You need to be looking for jobs. Of course, if they want to keep you, the request for references may prompt the head into making you an offer for next year.

4. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

Sorry, that sentence should have read 'not to renew'. In other words you can't lose your post and it be given to someone else.