1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary part-time, fear of resuming to full-time

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by teachme19, Mar 24, 2019.

1. teachme19

teachme19 New commenter

I was off sick a few weeks due to anxiety and insomnia. I had mostly difficult classes and unmotivated students which made it challenging for me.
    To help me get back to work, my doctor suggested altered hours for some months so after giving the fit note to HR, they agreed I have a day off per week. Now I have to go back to a normal timetable in few weeks and I feel this is likely to take me back to square 1 as the day off work was helpful as I really took this day off and did something else than teaching related work.
    I have to see the doctor again to discuss this and obviously I don’t know how the school will feel about this. They have been supportive which made me stay and not resign following my situation.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm not sure what to say, except to offer support and to say that your GP is the one to decide.
    Maybe p/t is the way forward. Or a different school. or not.
    But take care of yourself. You don't sound right yet.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

You could make a flexible working request for a permanent reduction to your contract. The phased return reduction will be time limited as you are usually paid your full salary while it happens.