1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary key stage leader

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by scarletthughes, Dec 26, 2015.

1. scarletthughes

scarletthughes New commenter

Have recently been given the temporary post of Key stage leader until August with view to turning around Key stage 2 in 7 months, success of which will result in a possible permanent position. Where should I start?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If it needs turning round, then you need to assess what is wrong, and draw up a plan to deal with it. You will need to be careful, as it may well mean some people being asked to do things differently, so you might find a few get rather upset. Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well certainly no expert, but for what's it's worth, I'd say do an audit of staff expertise and good practice. Who does what well? Can they share their 'good practice' and expertise in some in-house CPD. Hopefully that will get the staff on side and help you too!

Also an audit as Piranha says of what priorities need to be tackled in the Key Stage.

Best of luck.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Be helpful to have a definition of what Turning round actually means . . .

Some good advice above.

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Presumably 'turning round' = improving = better results at End of Key Stage Tests.

Now, I may be wrong but this does wave a warning flag for me. A Key Stage Leader normally has responsibility for the pastoral care of pupils. It is not possible to have full responsibility for academic results as you don't have control over such things as staffing, timetable and possibly resources.

Of course much depends on the size of the school and the level of proper authority delegated to the K S Leader.

Take care that you are not being made responsible for matters over which you have no proper control.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Draw up an action plan and talk to your staff. What changes / improvements would they like to see?
    Scrutinise results... How well are the children generally performing? In higher ks2, (year 5 and year 6) is there set classes dependent on ability? If not, you should. Talk to your HT or DHT about your plans, get them approved as soon as possible!
    No point in leaving your plans till April then realising you then only have 3 months to prove yourself. It's too late then!
    Good luck!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Take any CPD on offer. Have a back up plan. You can make yourself more attractive to other schools at the same time as you do this role. With slightly dubious targets.

Be aware that you could do all the ground work and then they could bring someone who would be over you.

nomad and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Effiepie

Effiepie New commenter

This makes me feel a little uneasy.
    Are you talking just about results? If so you could have an interesting time proving your impact as schools immerse themselves in assessment without levels. I'd suggest you agree with HT definitions of what will be considered effective 'turning around-ness' sooner rather than later. It's a tricky task that lies ahead for every teacher to demonstrate progress when comparing last year's levels and this year's no levels. Find out what pupil progress targets have been set for the children ... And PM targets for the staff.
    One term is over.
    End of KS testing is in less than six months.
    You haven't got long!

If you are referring to morale or behaviour then I think you need to have a clear vision, shared with HT, of what you want a 'good one' to look like. Whole school displays, assemblies with aspirational messages, regular newsletters and phone calls home with good news stories would be where I would start. Regular, but worthwhile, meetings for ks2 staff to receive instruction, training, recognition etc don't forget the biscuits!

Find out how much authority you have to implement changes. Ensure you schedule regular briefings with your HT.

Good luck, this could be a really exciting project!

nomad, Lara mfl 05 and Yoda- like this.