1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

temporary contracts

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by hellybelly25, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I have been working at my current school on a one year temporary contract, earlier in the year I was told this would be extended for another year.
    I have since heard that schools aren't allowed to renew a temporary contract with another temporary contract but either have to let you go or make you a permanent member of staff.
    I am unsure about what the correct standing is on this and would be grateful of any advice
    Thanks

2. I have been working at my current school on a one year temporary contract, earlier in the year I was told this would be extended for another year.
    I have since heard that schools aren't allowed to renew a temporary contract with another temporary contract but either have to let you go or make you a permanent member of staff.
    I am unsure about what the correct standing is on this and would be grateful of any advice
    Thanks

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

They can offer you another contract and are not obliged to make you permanent unless there is a permanent vacancy
    Once renewal of this contract has taken place your employment rights strengthen considerably. You would have the right not to be Unfairly Dismissed and if your contract is not renewed next year you would be entitled to a Redundancy payment as per a permanent employee.
    You could remain on contract for up to 4 years if it can be justified, although you would have many of the same rights as a permanent employee. It is on this basis that temp contracts are recommended to be made permanent at two years but it is by no means an entitlement.