1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary contract?

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by SargeNoble, Apr 8, 2019.

1. SargeNoble

SargeNoble New commenter

After a good first year in my primary school on a temporary (year) contract, I have been told that I will be put on another one year temporary contract. I feel it should be a permanent job now as my performance has been good and they are happy with me and I with them. How can I argue for a permanent contract? My partner thinks temporary is a cop out and is worried I’d have no protection if I got seriously ill. Thanks.

2. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

You could ask why the contract on offer is temporary. You need to stress that you need a permanent job. If you don't want to do that then apply elsewhere, there are plenty of jobs coming up. It does feel to me that the school may not be 100 percent convinced by you (maybe someone you don't see eye to eye with has said something to the HT or not!) or the schools future in terms of pupils on roll isn't good? Are they expecting OFSTED in and concerned about the outcome of that? There could be many reasons (even financial) so perhaps just ask why, otherwise it will play on your mind. Even if you don't get the permanent contract you will be given the reason.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

The school can offer a temporary contract if it wishes. However after 2 years it needs to treat you as permanent anyway.

But why wait that long? You should at least have a conversation with the Head, or if you want to play it cute then ask politely for references for each job that you could do in the surrounding area.

SargeNoble likes this.
  4. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The other possibility is that they have looked into the future with their staffing plan, curriculum plan and numbers and have decided that they might need fewer teachers from the following year; by giving you a temp contract they are in effect taking out insurance against having to have redundancies. You may be able to second-guess this one.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

JohnJCazorla and SargeNoble like this.
  6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Jobs don't become permanent because people are good at them.
    Arguing "I'm a great teacher, can you make my temporary post permanent?" isn't going to wash.

Simply have a chat with the head and say you really want something permanent, so will be looking over the next half term. That if you don't find a permanent post, you'd be more than happy to take the temporary one on offer, but obviously you want the security of permanent. See what they say.

JohnJCazorla and SargeNoble like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Thanks @Piranha , I worded it wrong (or should I say well wrong). it is not permanent until 4 years but the effective protections come in after 2 years.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes. What I have wondered, and there may well be somebody here who can give a definitive view, is whether (say) 1 September 2017 - 31 August 2019 (i.e. two complete school years) would counts as two years for this purpose. I hope it does, as it would mean that the OP would have this protection if they accepted the second contract. I think that would give at least minimum redundancy which could amount to £1,000 (or more if the OP is over 41) tax free. With the usual provisos about getting another job. I was once given a one year and 364 day contract, not in teaching, to avoid this.

This is of some importance in deciding whether to look for a 'permanent' job, as no job is really permanent until two years are up.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  9. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

It is '2 years and over', not 'over 2 years', employment protection goes with the renewal of the contract. The OP would have to be made redundant and treated accordingly.

JohnJCazorla and Piranha like this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I thought that likely, but am glad to have it confirmed. I do wonder how many schools and teachers don't know about such protection. A lot of people seem to think that the fact that a contract is temporary excludes the employee from protection at the end of it.

11. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

I think a great many are unaware and great many headteachers are playing fast and loose. Before I was a teacher I worked in an industry heavily reliant on contracts. As such I became very well informed on how they work and have, on several occasions, called out said poor practice. It has cost them quite a lot of money.

JohnJCazorla and Piranha like this.