1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

temporary contract

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sindy5, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Hi all.
    If you are on a temp contract do you have to be given a reason why your contract has not been renewed or can the school just not renew? my friend has a temp contract due to finish august this year. The school has another internal "floating " teacher that they have in mind for her job. My friend thinks they cannot get rid of her and put somone elso in her place? I thought schools can do this as a temp contract is just that TEMPORARY?
    thanks for any advice/info.

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The key word here is not "temporary" but "fixed term".
    Although your friend is on a temporary contract, and UK employment law makes no distinction between a ‘permanent’ and a ‘temporary’ worker, he/she is more importantly employed on a contract which terminates in August, and so is fixed term.
    Temporary workers who are not employed on fixed-term contracts may have the same rights to notice of termination as permanent employees, but a fixed term contract is just that.
    Under the most recent regulations, a fixed term contract holder is defined as one who has a contract that is EITHER for a fixed period of time OR for the completion of a particular task OR for a period that will end by reference to an event, e.g., a return from sick leave.
    Your colleague will only the right to a permanent contract if they have completed 4 years continuous employment with the school, even on a series of fixed-term temporary contracts.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Nomad
    Does fixed contract include sick pay and holiday pay...or is it only for the term events...ie such as using a supply and not paying sick or holiday pay?