1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary Contract Issues

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by physics2011, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have been on a temporary contract from 1st September 2010 until 31st August 2011. I was recently made permanent from 1st September 2011, but I am yet to see or sign any documentation.
    Over the weekend Ive been offered a hugely lucrative post overseas. I would like to accept this. Where do I stand in terms of resigining without breaching my contract?

2. Hi,
    I have been on a temporary contract from 1st September 2010 until 31st August 2011. I was recently made permanent from 1st September 2011, but I am yet to see or sign any documentation.
    Over the weekend Ive been offered a hugely lucrative post overseas. I would like to accept this. Where do I stand in terms of resigining without breaching my contract?

3. A verbal agreement to work for a school is your contract, which you made when you accepted your current job. Many teachers do not see the contract documents for many weeks or even some months. You would have to ask if the HT would let you out of your contract given the offer you have had. If they refuse you could still resign depending on whether you wanted to come back to a teaching job in this country at any point and will require a reference from your current HT. Otherwise, you will have to work out your notice period and leave at Christmas.