1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary contract- is it rude to ask for permanent?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by I_like_food, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Hi

I am in a temporary contract at a school owing to the teacher I was covering being on long term sickness (he has now been permanently signed off) My head has said he can give me a contract til the end of the year. I am more than happy with that

My issue is that my temporary contract has been extended on a number of occasions (owing to the nature of said teachers illness) As much as I am settled in the school I think it would be unfair for the head to keep extending the temporary contract. I understand that after 4 years it would have to be made permanent but I don't want to carry on that way for that length of time. There's little job security there and any redunduncies I would be one of the first to go I imagine.

So in short, nearer to the summer what would be the best way to approach my head about my concerns?

x

2. heya,
    I guess I'm in the same situation, I've been covering a sick leave for now 7 months. I really like the school I'm in and honestly with the job situation I'm happy I have a job. Anyway the point is that after each half term I don't know if I'll still be on board. I find it ridiculous: 1 for me and my job security, 2 for the kids who got used to me and will have made throughout the year with me.
    I was wondering, as I'm looking for information, if there were any legal rights or something that we can claim after a certain time of cover for the same person to get a permanent contract. Don't Unions have something for that?
    I have been told it all depends on the teacher's medical condition. So basically, if the teacher feels well we are back on the street, if njot we just filling the gap...a bit extreme but still realistic :/ ( not the most diplomatic way of saying it to the head but if ti can help in a way :)
    good luck !x
    x

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

4 years.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

If there isn't a permanent vacancy, they're not going to be able to give you a permanent contract.
    However, if the teacher on sick leave is now definitely not returning, it sounds like there might be a vacancy (although falling roles/budget shortfall/etc may mean that they decide they need to cut a teacher, in which case they won't be replacing them after all).
    I would approach the head sooner rather than later, saying how much you enjoy teaching there, but how you could really do with the security of a permanent post. If posts are beginning to be advertised for September: will they be willing to write you a reference? Or ask directly what the plans are for next year: will there be a post for you, and if they don't know yet, when will the decision be made (quite possibly when budget is confirmed in April).
    If they want to keep you, the risk of you going elsewhere may be enough to galvanise them into action.

5. That worked for me. I would definitely go for the 'sooner rather than later'. Also there tend to be a number of jobs just before Easter so apply for them anyway. Otherwise you could find yourself out of a job at the end of the term if things don't work out. Good luck.

6. Frustrum- the teacher is not returning so in theory there would be a post, and it's a one form entry school so don't think they could make any cuts.

I have approached him with a short letter explaining how I feel- however I got engaged at the weekend (yay me!) so I don't think I can be too fussy at the moment as I'm gonna need all the money I can get

7. Without saying (nothing sinister) he says it is unlikely my contract will be renewed.

The job hunt continues...