1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary contract concerns

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jubilee, Nov 11, 2011.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I don't know how it works in the private sector but LA paid teachers do not accrue pro-rata holiday pay. If they are permanent teachers, they have 3 possible leaving dates at the end of each term 9with set resignation deadlines) and they receive the pay for the holiday following that term (so 6 weeks if the finish in July but only paid until 31st December if they leave before Xmas.
    Those on a fixed term contract with an LA school get paid until the date that they leave. If they give the required notice and leave mid-term, they get paid to that date. If they are doing a maternity cover and the permanent teacher 'returns to work' on the first day of the summer holidays, the cover teacher gets no summer hoiday pay and the returning teacher goes back onto full pay.

2. Thanks jubilee. Sorry I should probably have mentioned it was Scotland I was talking about. Here, you get paid as a fraction of the year plus a percentage of the days you work as holiday pay. However, I donot know if it is the same at an independent school! Thanks again for your help!