1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary contract and pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by INKSPOT, Mar 4, 2011.

1. I have worked at the same school for 8 years. Recently,I had an interview for a promotion within my school, got the job and was told it was to be temporary for 6 months, starting in September. However, I have just found out I'm pregnant-baby due September. How do I stand as regards to this promotion-can the school withhold it or do they pay from September even if I'm on maternity leave, bearing in mind it's a temporary contract ( hoped to be made permanent).

2. I think you need to check it out with your union.
    However, I would have thought that your maternity pay would be based on a qualifying period (between about 24 and 28 weeks I can't remember exactly). Therefore if your baby is due in September you will just get maternity pay based on your normal salary.

3. Thanks, that makes sense. I feel better about that as was going to ask head if she could delay my promotion till after Christmas.