1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary contract and maternity pay

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by VJ32, Jul 11, 2011.

1. I agree you need to check on direct.gov about when you officially become a permanent employee according to the law.

Not sure what you are asking about maternity pay. Basically if you have worked for an LEA in a maintained school for over a year and are still doing so when you go on mat leave then you get 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks 90% pay but unless you can return to work for 13 weeks after mat leave you will not get the 12 weeks half pay. (Holidays count towards the 13 weeks if it is included in your contract, although as you are part time anyway it will be longer as you will have to return for the equivalent of 13 weeks full time.) Instead you go straight onto SMP. If your contract ends while you are on maternity leave then I think that the employer has to continue paying you SMP.

Look on the direct.gov website for rules on SMP and google burgundy book for teachers maternity pay - although it doesn't mention temp staff in its senarios. And, as much as you would like to, you can't plan exactly when to have a baby. It may take you years to become pregnant, or it may only take a few days. (Hence me knowing about temp contracts and mat pay - oops.)