1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary contract and completing NQT

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by puzzles321, Dec 17, 2018.

1. puzzles321

puzzles321 New commenter

Hi,

I’ve been offered a temporary post of two terms. The school have said that I will not be able to complete my NQT year with them. I have one term left to complete.

I’ve searched online, but can’t find a clear answer one way or the other as to whether I am allowed to work there for two terms with working towards/completed my NQT?

I assume this would also mean that I won’t be on a reduced timetable?

Thanks for any help!

2. puzzles321

puzzles321 New commenter

Sorry, should say WITHOUT working towards...

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Yes you can do this.

NQT is 3 terms in total. If you work at a school for at least a term then they must register that term as part of your NQT induction - which means you get your 10% extra PPA, a mentor, and so on.

4. puzzles321

puzzles321 New commenter

Sorry. The school have said they CANNOT offer me the opportunity to complete my NQT with them. So, can I work there for two terms without it counting towards my NQT, or as you say, do they need to register me?

As it’s temporary, the school said they were not obligated to offer me induction.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Oh sorry - you are saying you've already done 2 terms of the NQT induction and have 1 remaining; you have been offered a job for 2 terms but the school will not register you for your final term's induction.

Why will they not register you? What type of school is this? My understanding is that they have to register you for induction if your appointment is at least one term, unless there's a sound reason for not being able to offer induction.

'It is not possible to backdate the start of an induction period if a short-term supply contract is extended beyond one term. However, an induction programme must be put in place immediately it becomes clear that the extended contract will continue for a further term or more.' (https://assets.publishing.service.g.../696428/Statutory_Induction_Guidance_2018.pdf)

You should contact the local authority or appropriate body, or your union, for advice on this.

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A teaching post of a term or longer can be used to complete an induction. You only have 5years from QTS for non induction teaching. In a maintained school induction is mandatory not optional, Academies can choose to offer induction or not.