1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temporary contract advice

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by nikkib_1986, Apr 27, 2011.

1. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Apologies for lack of spaces in the text! Not quite sure what went on there!

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

None - if you have a fixed term contract your contract ends on the day specified unless the school tells you otherwise.
    Keep on applying for other jobs and hopefully you will land one soon - it doesn't sound as though you can rely on this school.
    Good luck.

3. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Although it's true there is no time limit on being told when your contract is not to be renewed, you do have to be informed. It is usually in around late May/June when staffing meetings are held. If your contract is not to be renewed you have to be given a written notice of Dismissal given reasons, ie Redundancy of post. If your contract began on 1st September 2009 and finishes on 31st August it is two complete years and you are therefore entitled to a Redundancy Payment.
    It's a good two years since you had to be informed months in advance of non-renewal of Fixed Term contract.

4. nikkib_1986

My concern is that if they do want to extend my contract and I agree verbally and then another full time job comes up that I won't be able to apply for it. This is what happened to me last year. My school left it so late that I was applying for other jobs and about a week after I said I would stay on (doing 3 days) a full time position came up that I was almost guaranteed to get. School would not let me go for interview though.
    I didn't know about the redundancy payment though so thanks for the heads up on that!

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Just remember that it goes both ways, as far as you are concerned your Fixed Term contract expires at the end of August and you owe it to nobody to give notice. In other words, if you get another job then take it and leave. If you are concerned about your current employer, if/when they offer to renew your contract let them know you are expecting to hear from full time posts and can't commit for the next few weeks (they don't need to know you haven't seen any other jobs yet :)

6. nikkib_1986

That's great! Thanks for your help. I was sort of pushed into accepting the position for another year this time last year as I was told to make a decision there and then and wasn't really given time to think about. I'll make sure I stand up for myself a bit more this year! [​IMG]