1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Templates and coursework

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Tosha, May 3, 2011.

1. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Has anyone heard anything about OCR kicking off about the use of templates when structuring coursework?
    EDEXCEL seem to like coursework laid out in a particular format!

How much detail is too much in a template any ideas?

2. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Has anyone heard anything about OCR kicking off about the use of templates when structuring coursework?
    EDEXCEL seem to like coursework laid out in a particular format!

How much detail is too much in a template any ideas?

3. OCR Nationals? It's a level 2 course and though opinion varies here (and between moderators), I believe it should be headings at a maximum, pupils should create and fill tables etc themselves. Certainly I'd not consider writing frames!

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

How is a writing frame different from a list of headings?

5. As a basic example, http://rmeducation.virtual.vps-host.net/files/image/writingframes.jpg. in this instance I'd give pupils the heading "Planning a Story 1" but not the boxes underneath. I've seen some schools giving OCR Nationals pupils basically a fill in the blanks for some AOs!!!

6. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

With the Nationals, I know OCR are trying to clampdown on the detail of some of the templates used, particularly on the new spec. As has already been said, some of the templates in use are a case of "fill in the blanks". Headings are fine to give students, but a detailed writing frame can actually restrict some of the better students.

7. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

A local school almost lost their status as an examination due to the overuse of templates

8. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Unit 1 AO4 - they must work from blank documents and not make use of templates or wizards
    There are other examples of OCR clamping down on templates throughout the entire qualification. To be fair it's only right, it is suppose to give a minimum C grade equivalent, and so the work has to be at this level for it to be taken more seriously than it is now.
    I would expect the use of writing frames / templates to be used for those who possibly would be better off doing a level 1 course and need the help with the written work, so would be very $%**ed off if other schools had been getting away with it when I've been working like a dog with my lower ability sets to get them up to scratch.
    And jweb2 - as this is a 100% coursework qualification, surely the work produced IS the evidence

9. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

It depends how detailed the templates are... I use them for the basic headings so that students know what to write about, for unit 23 for example I ask them "what is the aim of the video?", "who is the video aimed at?" "what are the good features?", "what are the poor features" and "how could you improve this video".

I don't think that's bad - the questions are virtually copied word for word from the OCR spec so I'm not giving them any more help than they should have, just reminding them what they should be writing about.

Another example I use is for Unit 1 with the email task. I have a table set up with space to put screenshots and notes, structured so there's a box for each task that's needed (ie one box for "send an email with a document attached", etc). Again, all I'm doing is copying from the spec with no additional help.

Are people doing more than that?

One thing I have found is that students write FAR more when you give them a blank sheet of paper and some pointers than if you give them a template to fill in. However it also takes FAR longer to mark, making sure you pick out everything that's supposed to be there.