1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temping during summer holidays

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nikkisab, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I've been applying for all manner of admin and telesales work to get me through the summer. Today I had a phone interview for a role advertised as temporary but then the woman over the phone said that the company wanted a committment of at least 12-18 months so I withdrew from the interview at that point. Wondering now if I was right to do that.
    What do you do about summer work? Do people state that they only want work until Sept/Oct (I don't imagine I'll have much through the first month of school) or do you not declare and then leave when school starts? I'm told I'm too honest for my own good but I don't want any comeback if there's any issues over my leaving 5 weeks down the line.

2. I've been applying for all manner of admin and telesales work to get me through the summer. Today I had a phone interview for a role advertised as temporary but then the woman over the phone said that the company wanted a committment of at least 12-18 months so I withdrew from the interview at that point. Wondering now if I was right to do that.
    What do you do about summer work? Do people state that they only want work until Sept/Oct (I don't imagine I'll have much through the first month of school) or do you not declare and then leave when school starts? I'm told I'm too honest for my own good but I don't want any comeback if there's any issues over my leaving 5 weeks down the line.

3. I personally would not have a problem with that. The employer would ditch you in the blink of an eye if it suits them to do so.
    I would be the same if someone in the private sector gave me work and then a couple of weeks into Sept I got cover I would just take it.
    These days you need to be as ruthless as the employer. Please lets not have any bleeding hearts stating that employers in the private, (or any other sector) care. They don't they are there to make money nothing else so why shouldn't we.