1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temping as a TA

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by charleyw, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking to start my PGCE next September but in the meantime I need some classroom experience. Does anyone on here have any experience temping as a TA? Is there much work available currently? I don't need to be working every single day, but a day or two each week would be a good minimum.

2. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Hi there,

In a voluntary capacity it should be relatively simple to get experience in the classroom however in a paid capacity the field is pretty competitive so you would be very lucky to get a paid job with no current experience. That said, schools welcome volunteers with open arms especially if they have a special skill they can share such musical ability or sports experience etc so I would suggest you contact local schools in the first instance, first with a letter then maybe a follow up phone call the next week (although bear in mind this is a pretty crazy time of year as classes are transitioning in primary and exams in secondary so you may not get a reply for a while!)

Good luck!

3. Thanks for your help :)

I already have a school I can volunteer at. My issue is that I currently work full time and my employer won't let me cut down my hours. If I'm to ever get onto a PGCE placement, I need more recent school experience (mine is pre 2009). I can afford to take quite a drastic pay cut, but not to be entirely without employment.

4. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I did it years ago to supplement a short contract. There was quite a bit of work in the winter but not so much in the summer. I worked for the LA team but I suggest you send your details to schools offering supply. I did quite a lot of private nursery work too.

Most weeks I had one to two days sometimes a whole week, some maternity cover too. So yes it is worth trying. Good luck.

5. Thanks all - I have been ridiculously lucky and skipped having to do supply TA'ing. I start a year long role as a part time TA in September - absolutely perfect for what I was looking for. They were particularly impressed because I didn't have experience, that I managed to shine in both interview and classroom. Just wanted others to know - it can be done!!