1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

temperature and smell tests

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by Corvuscorax, May 31, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Every pupil and member of staff should have their temperature and sense of smell tested at home every day before setting off for school, and school should be rechecking the temperature of everyone arriving on the premises. Hand gel and disinfectant foot bath to clean shoes and hands at the point of entry, and at other points throughout the building

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  2. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

What you write makes very good sense. I wonder though at how much effective teaching and learning is going to happen in Secondaries where clearly hygiene will be more of a focus ( TBH nobody paid much attention to it before Covid) . Hand washing, organised/synchronised comfort breaks, decontamination of books, keyboards, door handles, remote whiteboard controls, litter bins, sports equipment, biometric payment/registration systems, lockers etc.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Corvuscorax

none of these things can be shared, clearly, and no canteen either

agathamorse likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Have you not read and understood any of the guidance on school and EYFS settings opening more widely?
    Have you not read and understood any of the guidance on cleaning and hygiene routines for non-healthcare settings?
    Have you not read and understood anything about the concept of 'bubbles'?
    Do you not know anything about children of the age who are actually returning to school?
    You continually post showing your complete lack of understanding of what is going on and what is needed, as well as adding nonsense scaremongering.

It really doesn't. How is a parent going to test the sense of smell or not of a 4 year old? A 2 year old? A 6 year old? Why only test for two of the symptoms?
    A temperature check only shows a raise or not at the moment of taking it. It tells you nothing about whether someone is carrying the virus, especially as children tend to be asymptomatic. Young children also tend to have spikes in temperatures for all kinds of reasons, it would be daft to keep them off school for that alone.

Probably why secondaries aren't going back...it simply wouldn't be possible.
    All of which are easier in primaries with at most half the year groups returning.
    More bathroom facilities mean comfort breaks are easier to manage.
    Books are less used and can be used and then stored away for a week on rotation, something many schools and nurseries are doing. We also tend to have easier to clean books, so can be decontaminated that way too.
    Keyboards can be allocated to pupils who are returning to use all day and cleaned at the end of the day before another group have them.
    Door handles and sports equipment are likely to be cleaned by teaching staff, something that possibly would be harder to ask of secondary staff. Primary and nursery staff are more used to 'mucking in' with such things.
    Whiteboard controls tend to only be used by the teacher and can be cleaned at the end of the day.
    Litter bins and lockers will be cleaned by site staff, if they are present. Many schools don't have either.
    Biometric systems tend not to exist.

Oh heavens...could even be that the government is right to send back little ones first!!!

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Well, you'd think so wouldn't you given that most food outlets such as restaurants remain closed.
    However, Govt advice as of 20th May

"Schools should provide meal options for all children who are in school, and meals should be available free of charge where pupils meet the free school meal eligibility criteria. To ensure food is available for pupils who attend, educational settings are expected to reopen their kitchens if they have closed and ensure staff are able to work safely."

agathamorse likes this.
  6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Apologies, I have noted that I am on a Primary post. What I am referring to is Secondary, I shall move on :(

CabbageWhite20 and agathamorse like this.
  7. Corvuscorax

its not a primary post

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

How do you test sense of smell? If there is such a test (I've never heard of one - what does it reference as 'normal'? ) who is going to visit every pupil's and teacher's home every day before school to administer it?

9. Corvuscorax

parents will need to administer it, very simple, just use vinegar

10. Rott Weiler

I don't understand. What taste test is it? I've never heard of this and there's nothing in government Covid-19 guidance about it. Do you have a link that gives the instructions for carrying it out?

As an aside I'd think the likelihood of parents forcing EY Y1 children to drink vinegar every morning is about zero.

11. Corvuscorax

use vinegar for a smell test. Anyone intending go into school should be testing their sense of smell every day, before hand. Staff and pupils

12. Rott Weiler

But I still don't know what this test is Corvuscorax! So I sniff some vinegar, so what? What's it a test for, other than whether I can smell vinegar? Is there any link to explain why this has anything to do with Covid-19?

13. Corvuscorax

exactly! it tells you if you can smell vinegar!

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Yes, but what's that got to do with coronavirus? Is there some government advice somewhere that I've missed that says that if you can't small vinegar you've got coronavirus? Nothing I can find about that on gov.uk. Do you have a link?

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Noooo this isn't primary. But as of now only primary schools and nurseries are reopening. So Secondary issues are very premature.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

So one symptom of covid-19, that some people have, is an altered sense of smell. Therefore in theory you could ask someone to smell anything and find out if they can or can't smell it. However being able to smell vinegar doesn't prove that your sense of smell hasn't altered or that you simply don't show that symptom.

Errrmmmm and how would one judge if the two year old telling mummy 'yes I smell vinegar' really can do so? Do all two year olds actually know what vinegar smells like anyway?

What about six year olds and 10 year olds who know what the right answer is? If they say 'yes' they can go to school and mummy will be pleased as she can also go to work. If they say 'no' they have to stay at home with very stressed parents who are desperately trying to find childcare. I know what the vast majority will say!

Again, showing you haven't a clue about the virus, safe working or the age of children who are returning.

17. Corvuscorax

absolutely - its one of the tests used to class people as having coronavirus symptoms, and how a lot of people who have tested positive have been identified

18. Rott Weiler

I've done a site site search on the whole of gov.uk and the whole of nhs.uk and neither them has recommendation for your "vinegar test". Neither site mentions the test at all. I do not believe the UK government or NHS recommends this as you claim. But for the third time I'll ask, do you have a link to where this test is in the official government/NHS guidance?

19. caterpillartobutterfly

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Yeps, that's what happens.
    You drive up to the testing booth and the person there, in full on PPE, pops some vinegar under your nose and asks you to smell it.
    If you say you can't, then you have covid-19 and are a 'positive test'.
    Yeps that's exactly how the testing works.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I prefer 'the jelly bean test' myself. Just as (not) scientific and smells a whole lot nicer!

agathamorse likes this.
  20. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Secondary schools should definitely be planning already. Two year groups are meant to enter secondary school in June and September is not far away. This is when the planning should be taking place.

agathamorse likes this.