1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Temp to permanent role

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by smartiemarts, May 21, 2019.

1. smartiemarts

smartiemarts New commenter

Does anyone have any idea if the 13 week period between changing from a temp to permanent role (to avoid agency introduction fee) includes holiday? I am at an independent school and they have 12 weeks off during the summer so could hand in my notice a few weeks short of the summer holiday. My agency wants 33% of my last wage as a finders fee and I was at the top of UPS with TLR. I agree that this is an extortionate amount to pay.

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would have thought so, unless your contract says otherwise.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I do hope someone has some definite advice. that is indeed extortionate of the agency.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Do you definitely have a post for September, with everything signed and sealed?
    If so, hand your notice in now and get it done.

Just drop them an email that thanks them for finding you work this year and that you'll remember them in the future should the need arise. However you've been fortunate enough to secure a post for September and so won't need their services once this temporary post comes to an end.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Am I being dense in thinking that when the OP hands in their notice is irrelevant? Surely it is when they actually finish work that counts. If the contract simply says 13 weeks without mentioning holidays, then the OP would need to leave over a week before the end of term.

I am a bit ignorant about such things, but I thought the finder's fee was payable by the employer rather than the employee. In which case it would be the school's problem. What does the OP's contract say?